MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Cooper S in Hyper Blue
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after many hours browsing online during lock down I gave in, purchasing my first R53. I'm not completely new to minis having owned a classic mini, two R56's, a Clubman and an F56 (if only for a few months). I finally gave in and went for the oldest modern MINI I've owned, a

2006 R53
LSD
Xenon
AC
FSH

Mods:
NGK Iridium BKR6EIX Spark plugs (been advised to change this for 7's)
Stainless Manifold
Sports cat
Hornet exhaust
Upgraded silicon hoses
Intake box mod and K&N cone intake

Not sure on the alloy patina dash and door trim, stickers will be removed asap.

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg IMG_0886.jpg 106350716_2968661313230284_7809009856746634628_n.jpg 106554117_2968661576563591_1700212331539398300_n.jpg 106290497_2968661513230264_4153239143333246750_n.jpg IMG_0885.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
334 Posts
Very nice, the twin of mine...nice to see another clean, honest 06 late facelift getting some love :love:

Enjoy pal, I'm biased (as are probably most of the other guys in the R53 section) but there is just something about these ones that gets under your skin.........also be prepared for your wallet to get a pounding...they like modding and repairs in fairly equal measure from personal experience 🤣(y)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome to R53 ownership, car looks lovely. What plans do you have?

I was unsure on the patina dash, it clashes with the silver rings/trim for me. I am in the process of spraying the silver bits black which I think will help. Should be pics in my project thread over the coming days.

Apparently the patina is not great for spraying over if you do decide to change it as it's a wrap/transfer so needs a lot of prep to prevent issues.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Welcome to R53 ownership, car looks lovely. What plans do you have?

I was unsure on the patina dash, it clashes with the silver rings/trim for me. I am in the process of spraying the silver bits black which I think will help. Should be pics in my project thread over the coming days.

Apparently the patina is not great for spraying over if you do decide to change it as it's a wrap/transfer so needs a lot of prep to prevent issues.
Once I’ve got the abs and traction light sorted (pair of abs sensors in the post on their way to me) I’ll be starting off simple dechrome exterior with gloss black. Maybe a rear seat removal and a proper delete install to tidy up the floor over removed. Other cosmetics include wheels. Really not a fan of these stock wheels.

Then 15% pulley and intercooler. Possibly some coil overs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I've replaced both ABS sensors on the front which cleared the abs, traction and brake warnings for under a minute then they came back on along with the red brake alert. Picked up a C110+ OBD and these are the results:

Not sure what's next as its still saying the wheel speed sensor? also "5Da2 wheel-speed sensor, pulse gear front right" whats best to try next? Sensors were fairly cheap ebay ones but others seem to have no issues with them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sensors were sold as R53 sensors part number 34526756384. I drove the car for a couple of miles after replacing the sensors, the lights all cleared, not a single warning for about 30 seconds then came back on.

Had to drill out the sensor then punch it out as it wouldn’t budge no matter what but don’t expect this would affect it as it’s just a holding for the sensor? Could see the hub when moved through the hole clearly.

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
bearing possibly

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Yeah something like that. The ones youve linked are well over priced though. Id check them before fitting new ones and wheel bearings. If you knock the drive shaft through you should have enough space to check them for cracks without actually removing everything.
You might have bought shit sensors though MINI2

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah something like that. The ones youve linked are well over priced though. Id check them before fitting new ones and wheel bearings. If you knock the drive shaft through you should have enough space to check them for cracks without actually removing everything.
You might have bought shit sensors though MINI2
These are the cheap eBay sensors I purchased. Will see how they look, if they appear ok ill give the GSF parts a go on 1 the wheels first. If it still pulls up an error ill give the ABS ring a go. Just to find stock somewhere that shouldn't be shite quality!

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
abs reluctor rings don't apply on these cars as they're built into the bearing on the rear seal face

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
common on BMW, think I might have the issue on my CL500 too, need to look sometime, on that it cocks up the transmission speed signal so drops into limp, keep meaning to check it but not using the car and forget about it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Gave it a run with the C110+ connected to see if the sensors are picking up anything. Lights all cleared at startup but ABS was engaging constantly, could hear it working away under the bonnet till I went above 10mph then the Christmas tree returned along with an EMl. C110+ shows all sensors are getting readings while driving. EML is due to code 0500 road speed signal (Physical and digital speedo works fine still)

I expect this rules out the sensors being faulty?

Cheers for the heads up CatsOrBikes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts