MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Rotrex FTW
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I want to put on the OEM xenon headlights from the facelift R53 onto my car. I saw the retrofit instructions from the dealer and it seems quite a process.

Can't I just buy the headlights from the dealer and plug it in without all these harnesses and sensors they mention in that document?

·
Premium Member
9,887 Posts
No you cant unless you already have xenons plus if your buying them new from a dealer at silly prices its mad not to do it right

·
wants Muchos Baconos
1,528 Posts
the problem is that they xenons auto-level and they requires some extra wiring and gizmos. i think RyanK has done so could send him a PM

·
Bugger
25,321 Posts
if you have pre face lift xenons they plug and play as i did this on my old S

if you dont you can just plug them in and use them as HID's but you need a resisitor to stop them flickering pm scraggles as he knows how

·
Rotrex FTW
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I'm going to have to go with the dealer route. They charging $3000+ pounds all costs included.

·
Bugger
25,321 Posts
thats about the same as we'd get charged, sometimes you have to bit the bullet

·
Dead One
2,726 Posts
Hi guys,

I want to put on the OEM xenon headlights from the facelift R53 onto my car. I saw the retrofit instructions from the dealer and it seems quite a process.

Can't I just buy the headlights from the dealer and plug it in without all these harnesses and sensors they mention in that document?
Yes, with a small modification.

I wired a 2700uF 40v capacitor in parallel with the source voltage. +ve terminal to the yellow wire, -ve terminal to the brown wire.
They're neatly encapsulated in potting compound in the inspection cover, but they can also be put into the car wiring if it's easier.

·
Rotrex FTW
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks scraggles! Where would I find this 40v capitator? What is it for in anycase? I'm no eletrician by any long shot.

·
Dead One
2,726 Posts
ahh right cheers, theres one near where i work so i can drop by on the way home. Did you use 1800uF in the end instead of 2700uF like you said earlier?
Any size over 1800uF would work. I used that size because it was still reasonably sized and fitted into the location I wanted.
So do i just splice the yellow and the brown wire and put the capacitor paralell to them? Like this?
View attachment 6925
Exactly.

·
MINI-Aero"Special"
91 Posts
I fitted a set; I managed to get for £140 posted from Canada (real bargain!) Plug in and worked without any problems! 02 MCS

·
Rotrex FTW
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BMW finished the retrofit after a month :lol: The car is at the suspension place now to get the change of wheels and BC's taken out. KW's are going in at last!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys,
Hello from France. I've follow exactly Scraggles' requirements on my '04 Mini Cooper and IT'S WORKS (2 condensator 63V 2200uF)!!! I've tried from 2 years to install these OEM retrofit xenon, I've also ask to BMW but nobody can inform me about this installation...
A very big hand to Mr Scraggles!

·
Bugger
25,321 Posts
mine just plugged and played into my 02's with no issues

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
^^ same, had an 04, picked them up for £100 from a scrappers and they worked plug and play.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello just joined on here as I really want the xenons on my 2005 mini cooper which has halogens atm. So if I buy some second hand xenon facelift headlights they should plug and play on my cooper even without washers/levelling sensors? If I do this then what will the level of the xenon's be as I do not want to blind everyone..

·
BRG R53 Cooper S
2,617 Posts
New mot regulations mean it will fail if you have xenons without self levelling and headlight washers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts