MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm after a bit of advice and I'm sure this is the best place to ask :thumbup1:

Basically I'm replacing the top engine mount tomorrow on the MINI (its the oil filled one that goes all the time) and when looking through the service info it states that the M10 bolt that goes through the mount should be replaced due to it being overstetched when fitted...

However... I don't have a replacement and my local dealer has no stock either so I was wondering does it really need to be replaced or not based on your experiences of changing them???

I can get hold of a bolt tomorrow from the local fittings supplier, it is 12.9 grade which is a higher spec than the 10.9 grade MINI recommend but they only have allen key heads and not hex or torx heads... surely this will be able to torque upto the correct amount???

One last thing also, on realOEM the bolt is specified as being 125mm long but on the TIS system the bolt is specified as being 110mm long :confused1:... does anyone know the correct length???

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Not really the same thing but I've found that when the TIS suggests replacing bolts it's not always essential. Basically if the original bolt looks ok, goes back in and tightens properly you've got no issues. Saying that, I've only experience with the interior and haven't touched the engine yet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really the same thing but I've found that when the TIS suggests replacing bolts it's not always essential. Basically if the original bolt looks ok, goes back in and tightens properly you've got no issues. Saying that, I've only experience with the interior and haven't touched the engine yet.

My only concern is that the bolt is torqued up to 56Nm + 90 degree so there is probably a fair bit of torque there, therefore there is a good chance that the bolt will be stretched... If other people on here have done this and have used the same bolt then I'll go ahead with it but I really dont want to shear the bolt off :eek:hmy:

·
BRG R53 Cooper S
2,617 Posts
i wouldnt like to say yeh just re-use the bolt as you would blame me if it snapped :lol: but if it was mine i would be re-using it if it looked ok!!

·
MINI!
3,160 Posts
Dont follow my lead but I always use the same bolt but just only torque it and no 90degree it. I dont understand why its a stretch bolt, it only holds the mount from lifting if the engine pulls up or you take flying lessons.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wouldnt like to say yeh just re-use the bolt as you would blame me if it snapped :lol: but if it was mine i would be re-using it if it looked ok!!
If it shears off I'll be straight on here to place the blame :lol: Cheers

Dont follow my lead but I always use the same bolt but just only torque it and no 90degree it. I dont understand why its a stretch bolt, it only holds the mount from lifting if the engine pulls up or you take flying lessons.
Thats exactly the info I was after... Thanks...

As you said though I cant understand it either really ??? The mount obviously needs holding down to stop the engine rocking but there is also an M12 bolt holding it in position so why all that torque ???

Anyway cheers for your help I thought that MT would come up trumps with a technical query and you didn't dissapoint... nice one :thumbup:

K

·
0 Posts
The longer bolt 22 11 6 766 753 is for the later model (metal canister). The only way to know if your bolt is good for another use is to use a bolt gauge to measure for stretch, but you need a healthy bolt to compare with. There are a number of advantages to and applications for torque to yield bolts. In this application I would guess it is a component of passive crash safety features. Because the bolt is at the limit of its plasticity, torsion, shear, or tension forces would cause failure of the mount bolt before failure of the pitch bolt, encouraging the motor to move downward first instead of rearward in a front-end collision. As I said, that is a guess, because I’ve seen a pitch bolt sheer as well in a track related incident.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your help, I fitted the mount today and used the existing bolt, as OJM said I am going to order one and replace it as soon as I can...

Ever since I had my car the mount has been shot but I thought the excessive vibration was a feature of the car :blink:...

New mount fitted it seems like a different car, no vibration and no judder when planting it... Well chuffed :thumbup:.... As I said though cheers for all your help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts