MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm running a 2004 R53. Spent a couple of hours taking my interior apart so that I could change the speedo/tacho LEDs from orange to white. I saw some helpful forum posts and got down to the circuit boards with minimal trauma. If anyone wants to ask questions, go ahead.

Anyway, I now have two pretty important questions:

1. Can I make it so the interior LEDs are on whenever the engine is running - rather than being paired with the headlights?

2. If I wanted to add footwell LEDs, where exactly would I splice in the positive/negative wires? I see a few bundles of wires strapped together behind the dash, but no obvious positive or negative attachments

Thanks

·
#HypocriticalCoiloverCunt
3,304 Posts
1. No... it would be very difficult to isolate the leds. you can just drive with your side lights on, instead like I do to keep them all white.

2. you have footwell lights (or should have), just use the existing lights there and fit different colour bulbs?

I am aware this is unhelpful...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Never really considered the side lights. With the second question, I was hoping to make a separate LED circuit with an on/off switch.

·
#HypocriticalCoiloverCunt
3,304 Posts
Thanks. Never really considered the side lights. With the second question, I was hoping to make a separate LED circuit with an on/off switch.
I am sure you can do this, depending on if you can get the wiring diagrams and work them out... you could run them off the same attachments that the dash lights run from... however, this is well beyond my comprehension... I can just about work out how to drive mine

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just had a brainwave. Think I will look for the cigarette lighter wires. I'm sure that must have a simple +ve/-ve for me to splice into, and that would allow them to run whenever the engine is on

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you just want a 12v source the cigarette lighter would be my first thought but I believe the illumination ring on that is also switched with the side lights/headlights.

I can't remeber for sure but I believe the cigarette lighter socket is also a switched live (with the ignition), rather than a permanent live.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts