MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Look familiar?

DSC_0039.jpg

Quite a common occurance is the bulb holders becoming very hard to remove from the assembly. As a result of this, I managed to snap the fog lamp bulb holder in half whilst trying to turn the holder to remove the lamp :cursing:

If you have the same condensation build up, there's a high probability that your lamp holders will too be very hard to remove.

The only real remedy is to purchase new fog/side light assemblies and lamps.

DSC_0036.jpg

To swap over the assemblies, you'll need T15 and T25 Torx screwdrivers, a flatblade screwdriver, and a pozi screwdriver

First off, loosen off your wheel bolts.

Then jack the car up, and support it with an axle stand.

Now remove your wheel.

You should end up looking at this

DSC_0041.jpg

Remove the large cover, and the screws holding the arch liner in. Then pull the liner back.

DSC_0042.jpg

Unplug both the fog light and side light bulb holders from the wiring loom.

You'll need the T25 Torx screwdriver here to remove the 2 torx screws holding in the washer bottle.

Pop the bonnet and pull out the plastic clip shown just to the right of the washer bottle cap.

DSC_0044.jpg

The washer bottle will now be able to move around enough to allow you to gain access to the T15 screws that hold the fog/side light assembly to the lower bumper. There are 3 screws to remove, 1 upper, and 2 lower. You will need a long T15 Torx screwdriver, or an extender to reach the top screw.

As the washer bottle is now loose, you can manipulate it enough out of the way to get the assembly out past it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
DSC_0045.jpg

Offending item removed

DSC_0047.jpg

Refitting is the reverse of removal. One thing to check however is the polarity of any LED Side light you may be fitting.

DSC_0048.jpg

Most are polarity conscious, meaning they will only work with the live and ground a certain way round. If yours don't initially come on, take the LED out of the lamp holder turn it 180 degrees and put it back in. It should now work.

Once your all done on the passenger side, you'll be glad to hear the driver side is vastly easier as there is no washer bottle to get in the way.

The only slight hinderance is the horn wiring, however this is easily moved aside.

Now stand back and admire your new condesation free lights

DSC_0049.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great guide. I have the same problem on my 07 Cooper and had been told replacing the lamp unit was a bumber off job. your guide and pics will be be a big help. Cheers buddy.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, having this exact same problem, except I've snapped the sidelight holder not the fog light. I've bought a new fog/sidelight unit but unfortunately didn't come with the sidelight holder, can I buy this seperatly? I've looked everywhere ? Thanks.

·
#HypocriticalCoiloverCunt
3,304 Posts
Hi all, having this exact same problem, except I've snapped the sidelight holder not the fog light. I've bought a new fog/sidelight unit but unfortunately didn't come with the sidelight holder, can I buy this seperatly? I've looked everywhere ? Thanks.
My advice is to try and find the part number and ping a message to Cotswold Mini on here who may be able to get the part for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for that. I was getting prepared to remove the bumper, as another guide, Pelican Parts, advised. Same issue with the lamp. Cant remove the bulb holder as its corroded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also when replacing the bulb holders give them a good coating of silicone grease on the o ring seals and the bulb holder baynet, this will help to stop any water entering the lamp in the future and also help with removal of the holders in the future as hopefully it will stop the corrosion taking place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Life saver

Pop the bonnet and pull out the plastic clip shown just to the right of the washer bottle cap.

View attachment 16310

The washer bottle will now be able to move around enough to allow you to gain access to the T15 screws that hold the fog/side light assembly to the lower bumper. There are 3 screws to remove, 1 upper, and 2 lower. You will need a long T15 Torx screwdriver, or an extender to reach the top screw.

As the washer bottle is now loose, you can manipulate it enough out of the way to get the assembly out past it.
Cheers Platty, that water bottle trick saved me a load of hassle. I was scratching my head for a while wondering how I'm going to get the nearside lamp out!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look familiar?

You'll need the T25 Torx screwdriver here to remove the 2 torx screws holding in the washer bottle.

View attachment 16310

Nice instructions however you forgot to mention you need to lever the bottle off the lug at the bottom. Once lifted off, the bottle moves a treat. Thanks saved me a garage bill.
Now just need to do drivers side purely for cosmetic reasons :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Right about the water bottle being a massive pain. Managed to do it without taking the wheel off though, simply turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and you have room to access the wheel arch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 16311

Offending item removed

View attachment 16312

Refitting is the reverse of removal. One thing to check however is the polarity of any LED Side light you may be fitting.

View attachment 16313

Most are polarity conscious, meaning they will only work with the live and ground a certain way round. If yours don't initially come on, take the LED out of the lamp holder turn it 180 degrees and put it back in. It should now work.

Once your all done on the passenger side, you'll be glad to hear the driver side is vastly easier as there is no washer bottle to get in the way.

The only slight hinderance is the horn wiring, however this is easily moved aside.

Now stand back and admire your new condesation free lights

View attachment 16317

1 - 18 of 18 Posts