MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My husband recently purchased a 2006 Mini Cooper S, loving the car but the remote key does not work. The car runs fine with the key ( the only one with the car), toggle on the dash for the central locking works, but I can't lock /unlock the car with the 3 button remote key fob and I'm not even able to do it manually with the key in the door , ,(key will not turn in the lock). At this point I would be happy just to be able to manually do it so I could take the car to town and be able to safely lock it .The seller of the car said he changed the battery(you can tell ) and it had stopped working there after, so tried the fix (press the lock 3 times) incase it needed reprogramming but nothing ,not really sure what I can or should do now , everything was so simple back in the 70's when my Dad had an Austin Mini. Once the snow flies & trucks are salting she'll be off the road for the winter and hopefully some time to figure out what to do .Any help/advise greatly appreciated.
Regards
Jan Waterman
Nova Scotia
Canada

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red R50 5 speed Midlands transmission
19 Posts
The previous owner might have put the battery in upside down. Was the key fob case damaged? If so, this is the best replacement case available (that I’ve found),
02-05 MINI R50 R53 REMOTE KEY HEAD CASE SHELL REPLACEMENT FOR KEYLESS ENTRY FOB | eBay

Before you open the old case, be aware that there is an RFID chip tucked away in the corner of the case. It looks like a bit of plastic debris, and has no wires or anything going to it. DON’T LOSE IT! It goes with the car’s Immobilizer and if it gets lost, you have to get a new key from a dealership. Transfer it carefully to the new case.

Ok, once the case is open, the printed circuit board can be removed. There is the battery on one side, and microswitches and an LED on the other. Pressing any microswitch should make the LED glow, if the battery is good and installed correctly.

I rebuilt the key for my daughter’s 2004 R50. I had to replace broken microswitches,
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK-Switches/KSR221GLFS?qs=vOd3edNlRKBvF0VngmgZkw==

Let us know what you find.

Edit: I suspect the key not working in the door lock is a separate problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts