MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in touch with 1320 mini yesterday and have booked for the supercharger pulley reduction and cooler plugs etc to be done on the 2nd of november! Now im REALLY excited :)

Any general tips and advice etc. please let me know! :D

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
fit a cam first ;O)

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
558 Posts
Everyone has their view but personally I wouldnt do a pulley until the supercharger has been properly serviced and the water pump replaced...if it has already then fine. Id also go interference fit rather than bolt on, and IMHO 15% is probably the limit to go to in terms of reduction. Dont skimp on plugs and you only really need go 1 step (so 7) not 2 steps (8) colder.

Mines 15% and have to be honest whilst it is faster its not leaps and bounds different to stock....more torque and tractability but it IMHO doesnt revolutionise the car.

Also unlikely but if the car has any issues with fuelling you woule risk running the car lean at the top end which'd do it no good....tho 1320 would obviously check for that Im sure.

If I had my time again id have cam'd and manifolded mine first, then done a pulley with bigger injectors and a pukka map to bring it all together. Sean (CarsorBikes) knows what hes talking about 👍

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone has their view but personally I wouldnt do a pulley until the supercharger has been properly serviced and the water pump replaced...if it has already then fine. Id also go interference fit rather than bolt on, and IMHO 15% is probably the limit to go to in terms of reduction. Dont skimp on plugs and you only really need go 1 step (so 7) not 2 steps (8) colder.

Mines 15% and have to be honest whilst it is faster its not leaps and bounds different to stock....more torque and tractability but it IMHO doesnt revolutionise the car.

Also unlikely but if the car has any issues with fuelling you woule risk running the car lean at the top end which'd do it no good....tho 1320 would obviously check for that Im sure.

If I had my time again id have cam'd and manifolded mine first, then done a pulley with bigger injectors and a pukka map to bring it all together. Sean (CarsorBikes) knows what hes talking about 👍
I appreciate the advice! I'm definitely going to have to do things bit by bit though as im only an agricultural engineer and not on the big bucks lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
My JCW has an 11% pulley and ive floated the idea of going down to 17% (which I probably will in time)... I've never driven a stock sized pulley so don't know the differences but from reading posts here, there doesn't seem to be a night and day difference...then again, it's all about little improvements here and there that add to the cumulative effective of bigger gains over time.

I've been going through my recently acquired car repairing and changing things..lots of small stuff that had been neglected and wanted doing...clutch slave, new discs and pads and fluid...new PAS fluid, transmission oil change, new ball joints, tie rods blah blah... The car could still do with a new OS drive shaft, but little by little it's getting there.

I say, go for it and have fun with it...maybe get a game plan of improvements together and heed the advice of the members here. There are some very knowledgeable people on the forum who's advice has helped me enormously in the short time i've been here.

In the mid term though, a replacement cam is on the cards...but only once I've completed the list of remedial servicing work and preventative maintenance on my car.
These engines need more torque low down to offset their small displacement and the inertia of the S/C. After exhaustive reading, the cam deffo seems the way to go for what I need...It's seems it's in the R56 brake upgrade 'no brainer' territory.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My JCW has an 11% pulley and ive floated the idea of going down to 17% (which I probably will in time)... I've never driven a stock sized pulley so don't know the differences but from reading posts here, there doesn't seem to be a night and day difference...then again, it's all about little improvements here and there that add to the cumulative effective of bigger gains over time.

I've been going through my recently acquired car repairing and changing things..lots of small stuff that had been neglected and wanted doing...clutch slave, new discs and pads and fluid...new PAS fluid, transmission oil change, new ball joints, tie rods blah blah... The car could still do with a new OS drive shaft, but little by little it's getting there.

I say, go for it and have fun with it...maybe get a game plan of improvements together and heed the advice of the members here. There are some very knowledgeable people on the forum who's advice has helped me enormously in the short time i've been here.

In the mid term though, a replacement cam is on the cards...but only once I've completed the list of remedial servicing work and preventative maintenance on my car.
These engines need more torque low down to offset their small displacement and the inertia of the S/C. After exhaustive reading, the cam deffo seems the way to go for what I need...It's seems it's in the R56 brake upgrade 'no brainer' territory.
Thank you for that! Luckily i got an MOT from my local garage who im good friends with and told him to be really thorough and brutally honest with me if there is anything that looks like it needs doing, all that came back as advisories was the rear tires becoming semi slicks soon 🤣

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah the brakes is on my list. Mine were in a shit state when I bought the car so I needed to just get some new discs and pads on asap (amazingly it passed an MOT just a few hundred miles earlier)...
I'll gradually piece a brake conversion kit together over the coming months as I'll be taking the car off the road at the end of October.
Sorry for thread hijack!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts