MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`ve recently bought an 07 One, with about 88K on the clock. Unfortunately days after buying it i noticed what seemed like a decent car, wasn't quite that.
I enjoy tinkering and want to learn, so am happy to have a crack at fixing it myself. I`m an ex sparky, worked on all sorts of strange systems and enjoy a bit of fault finding. However, i don`t know much at all about cars as never really needed to.

I`ll list all the issues iv noticed with the car. some of them are minor and im not bothered about them but think they are worth mentioning in case they are linked.

First issue i noticed was the RPM dropping when i was at idle. Sometimes its minor, sometimes the car shudders as if its on the brink of stalling, one journey to work, it stalled every time i stopped

second thing i noticed was the head,brake,fog,and interior lights flicker. they do this if i turn the ignition on without the engine running, they also do this when the engine is running.

I removed the battery for a bout 30 mins, cleaned the terminals and replaced the battery. both the above issued then disappeared. Took it round the block a few times and went to bed pleased with my self. woke up in the morning and both issues returned. battery was a tad low, but was getting a solid 14V via the alternator when the engine was running.
bought a new battery but this didn't resolve it.

Other issues are... Interior reading lights don`t work but lamps are OK. haven`t checked for voltage yet.

Radio makes white noise sound when i turn on the rear window heater.

Indicators don`t auto cancel,

Before sending it to a garage, id like to work through some of the simple fixes myself. If anyone has any guidance on this, id highly appreciate. Im going to check the Vanos and air sensors but im thinking when the battery was removed, maybe it reset a dodgy module?

Many Thanks,

·
Registered
40 Posts
would also before doing cables from battery scan the car for any codes make a note of them reset so no codes showing, then sort cables then rescan it after a good run rescan it see what comes back at least then you know what your dealing with, i've had them where battery cables have corroded to find the car DME has been spiked by a intermittent contact that generates tiny bolts of lightening as such as your sparky you fully know what happens when get a gap for the electrons to jump , inner micro chips on ecu runs on milliamps and do do well from these spikes ,, so needs sorting if its a loose connections

1 - 3 of 3 Posts