MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to do with a game but I feel this is the appropriate section on the forum.

I am completely clueless when it comes to Windows and installation/re-installation.

I have an Acer Aspire S3 Ultra book, i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD.
It came pre-installed with Windows 8, if I remember correctly no serial / key / number on or in the box and no media i.e. CD

Not long after having it Windows 8.1 came out, so I upgraded. (If I remember rightly I downloaded the update free from the Windows Store).

The device is playing up now and freezing every 5 minutes or so for 2-3 minutes then coming back to life.
It's not overheating, and it's not being over-worked, it happens straight after booting up.
I've looked in task manager to try and see if anything is hogging the resources but nothing sticks out.

I run ccleaner regularly and use Windows Defender as my anti-virus/malware/spyware protection. Occasionally run spybot search and destroy.

There isn't many important files on the HDD so I want to just back up my photos and documents onto a USB and do a fresh install.

How do I go about this, as I have no CD, no serials or anything. Read online serial is stored in the BIOS, not sure if true or not, even if that is true, I still don't know the procedure.

Help :D ?

·
#HypocriticalCoiloverCunt
3,303 Posts
Firstly, Why opt over Windows 7? Windows 8 is so unuser friendly!

Anyway, try running your system in 'Safe Mode', (to do this: Windows Start-up Settings (including safe mode) - Windows Help) hopefully this should cause no issues and start up, then do a system restore to a date before the issues started occurring.

Not too familar with Windows 8.1 OS but i am sure it cant be too different from Windows 7 :)

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Usually the pre-installed Windows' serial number is on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. Not sure if this is a case with Win8 though, as I've tried to avoid laptops that come with it...

System restore is a good idea as suggested above. You could also check what unnecessary stuff it started when Win8 boots up. Nowadays almost every installed sw wants run automatic updaters, "optimizers" and whatnot in the background... http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-tip-manage-startup-applications

Or buy a cheap Win7 license from amazon/ebay.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments guys.

I haven't found Windows 8 a problem. No need to pay for Win7 if no need.

Hard drive has about 350gb free. 50gb used. Hardly ever used, hence why I don't mind wiping and re-installing.
Forgot to mention ever now and again it BSOD's on me as well. Bad sectors or somethingon the HDD, so a re-install is probably best route.

I think I'm onto a winner ---> Using Acer Recovery Management to Restore Windows 8

Hopefully every Acer comes with Acer Recovery Management already installed.

Will see how this goes tonight.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I don't even think I have had it 12 months. This must surely be covered under gaurenteed :/ ?

edit- screw the warranty idea.
I'll replace it with an SSD. Not too expensive on ebuyer.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Forget the SSD, Windows 8 and 4 GB RAM, that's your problem. First rule of Windows, add RAM. Second rule, add more RAM.
With only 4GB it will be paging all the time which hammers the disk and makes you think the drive is knackered. Upgrade to at least 8GB and you'll see a real difference.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You should have a recovery partition that will have the windows installer (modified with programs and drivers for the laptop) you will need to enter the windows 8 boot menu to get access, usually shift + f8 for win 8 based laptops.

You can do a fresh install - may or may not resolve your issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts