MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Chaps

Well It's finally started, over 2 years after the departure of the blue R53.....
I bring you project.......:confused1::confused1:

Project blue book......UFO or aka...WTFWT
Considering others, all tbc

I'm sure I have brought the wrong car as a base :blush:
1st it needed to be a N18
2nd it needs to be blue, not, kite but lightning Blue
3rd it had to have an aero kit, roadsters are girly at the best of times, it needs as much help as possible
4th it had to be bloody cheap and high mileage, i.e. A good base to pull apart and rebuild
5th and finally it needed Hk sound to help with Sunday afternoon roof down moments, or decat :thumbup:

So 2 out 5 boxes ticked in the end,

Well I will certainly need your help with various aspects of this build so I may as well start
as I mean to go on.....it needs a name
I don't normally go in for this sort of thing, but if it adds to the Fun then why not,
I'm open to suggestions for both the car and the project,

This isn't a poll, but here are some of my own thoughts as a steer

Blue flame
Blue flash
Blue Heat

Bullet
Silver bullet
Silver machine

Roderick the Roadster
Rodney the roadster
Lotus Eater
GP Eater

Black Adder......not a Cobra, not a viper, small & British with a irritating bite
Project blue book......UFO or aka...WTF was that ?
Heart breaker ....mine or others, hoping not my wallet

The Noddy car, Blow and Set, the Blue rinse, French Blue, open to any other humorous ideas
all have their merits but will possibly miss the final cut :tongue_smilie:

Plans and thoughts to follow including pictures of purchased coilovers

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The base,

Please note it will not look like this for long

As much red as possible will go, starting with mirror caps, and stripes

Attachments

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
White silver is one of the better colours on the R55-9 range.

If it isn't blue, how about Ray Charles' Blue Roadster Racer?

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Interesting choice Al. There are a few good roadster options kicking about at the moment...
A). I'm thinking it will feel and sound faster at more "sensible speeds", so will give extra fun whilst Actually driving slower so probably helping to keep points off the old license

B). Having a softy folder top is far better than a ton of glass up top, yes extra weight compared to hatch but it's lower down, and I need my David Dickerson sunshine fix, too many hours away from the light, I feel like a Welsh pit pony, so not even considered the obvious GP2 option

C). Part ex value of a F56 SD is very tragic, same cost in man maths to have and run 2 cars,
than trade it in to run a decent spec F56 jcw. (Fleet policy, old man, lots of Ncb, Sd 20 quid to tax)

D) GP3 is coming soon, as are Lci F56, both would piss on my cornflakes with a purchased recent 2017/16 F56

E) extra Q-car value....and even more piss taking fun with another girls car (when finished) against "superior metal". I'm aiming for the BMW day at the pod for 2019/20, those standard m3 owners will be crying into their carbon cockpits

F) selling my r53 was the wrong thing to do, I cannot go back and build a better car, too many memories and fun in the old girl, at least this one should take me to retirement, wooden box, mobility scooter, something French (Brian) or onto some very serious RS Audi 5 cylinder fun, in 15 years + or sooner if funds become available, lottery win etc

·
Premium Member
16,481 Posts
Like your thinking. Is the GP3 going to happen? No doubt they wont, but they should do that as a proper lightweight version, not just chuck more power at it and add some garish aero stuff...

Some very creative man maths is needed to justify a mini these days... not as easy as it used to be! Seems to be a rival for the focus/golf rather than fiesta/polo these days??!

Q-car value is pretty cool whilst also like the added aural aspect too :thumbup1: Enjoy!

·
R56 JCW
350 Posts
It's good to see so many familiar members returning to MINIs with second gen cars.

Will keep an eye out for you as I'm only down the road in Brackley.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this develop mate. After speak at mitp should be a interesting build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 57 Posts