MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for a great forum, I have read earlier threads on this issue many times this last week. Ours is a UK 2010 R56 LCI 1600 petrol non turbo and last week the fan stayed on for 5 minutes after stopping the engine. Thereafter it came on within seconds of engine start and stayed on regardless of engine temp. This and other fora convinced me it was the coolant sensor which for this model is molded into the thermostat housing and there is a single 4 wire connector, 2 for the sensor, 2 for the electronic thermostat. I got the new piece from BMW and an adapter cable to fit between the wiring 4 pin plug and the new 2 plugs on the housing. Cost £116 not too steep as it came with a new temp sensor fitted. The Real OEM parts list for my chassis shows a note against the replacement housing; PUMA 6000 5320. Thinking it might have some deep meaning, I persuaded my BMW dealer to print a copy, fortunately it merely stated the replacement had the earlier removable sensor and needed the 2 into 1 cable. So new unit fitted and coolant bled I was V upset when the fan came on with a cold engine and stayed on. :mads: Back to the internet... somewhere it stated the fan had some intelligent controls in the motor so I removed mine to have a look. On my non turbo model it was easy to lift upwards and out after removing the torx bolts and header tank, so no need to jack the car. My fan has only 2 wires, no resistor pack and only 1 relay in the engine fuse box. I carefully dis-assembled the motor and found it to be a simple permanent magnet unit with 4 brushes in pairs with heavy copper resistors between and a single suppressor between live and earth, nothing that might respond to modulated CAN BUS stuff, so all carefully refitted. Finally my new OBD II trouble code reader arrived and bingo 3 codes plus fortunately their descriptions: 2F22 engine temperature plausibility, 2EE8 electrical fan activation power stage 1, 2F1A coolant sensor temp signal. After a bit more reading I pressed erase and was delighted when the fan stopped and the codes no longed could be found. A BMW Technician friend explained that some safety critical trouble codes result in the fan adopting an emergency mode and that it should clear itself when the cause is rectified and after several activation cycles. He also said that disconnecting the battery for a few hours will often do the trick as well. Sorry this is a bit long winded but I owe this forum some pay back and the whole story may save somebody a bit of stress. :thumbup1:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts