MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of advice please...

Got MeisterR coilovers with Fr 15, rear 9.
Geo camber set as front - 0.5 and rear - 1.5
Tyres are AD08r 215 45 17, loads of tread.

I'm finding a fair amount of understeer especially in the wet. The steering on corners also feels pretty light like it's always waiting to go...a bit disconcerting.
Having a look about the forum, seems like the front would be better suited to 1.5 or maybe 2.0 camber but interested to know if that would make a big difference to reducing the understeer? It's very much a daily but aiming for a track day every 2 or 3 months going forward.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Not a definitive set up I know, but I would swap the cambers over, you want more - on the front than the rear to improve turn is for a start.

ETA. Haven't used them myself, but I would be going away from a tyre like that as a daily this time of year also.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a definitive set up I know, but I would swap the cambers over, you want more - on the front than the rear to improve turn is for a start.

ETA. Haven't used them myself, but I would be going away from a tyre like that as a daily this time of year also.
Deffo going to tweak the Geo but just interested if it will make much difference. Also having a set of wheels refurbed and will lob PS4 on them. I've always noticed the understeer but exasperated in the damp now.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
My experience of AD08R were that they were OK in the wet but never inspired great amount of confidence. In the warm and dry they were excellent. I would expect the PS4 to feel quite a bit better in the wet.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My experience of AD08R were that they were OK in the wet but never inspired great amount of confidence. In the warm and dry they were excellent. I would expect the PS4 to feel quite a bit better in the wet.
I think they're possibly exasperating my issue in the wet whereas was happy in the dry so I'd agree with you there. I don't exactly push it anyway but had a moment on a corner last week!

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
you definitely need to change that front camber, it'll make a significant difference. I'd keep these tyres, the AD08R have better dry grip and a B wet rating, perhaps they're just affected by your set up. Meisters are a comfort road coilover running most likely only 5/4kg springs, maybe release some front rebound to see if it helps. Have you a stock rear bar? If so get rid of it and fit the largest bar you can find. What tyre pressures?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
6 and 10 what?

Degree, inch, mm?

In, out?

Post the alignment sheet up.
I did think it was minutes but could well be very wrong!

Getting a security error trying to add the sheet up but shows as:
Front 0°06'
Rear 0°10'

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you definitely need to change that front camber, it'll make a significant difference. I'd keep these tyres, the AD08R have better dry grip and a B wet rating, perhaps they're just affected by your set up. Meisters are a comfort road coilover running most likely only 5/4kg springs, maybe release some front rebound to see if it helps. Have you a stock rear bar? If so get rid of it and fit the largest bar you can find. What tyre pressures?
Thanks CoB, if I do go out to - 1.5 am I OK to keep the rear the same?

Tyre pressures are 33 or so all round.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I would reduce the rear also, as you will be there getting the front done it shouldn't cost more to do the rear, others may disagree.

I am not sure what difference it would make to your set up but I am 2 min toe in front & rear with -1.5 deg camber front & -0.5 rear and it handles well for a good mix of road & track driving.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
it'll be minutes.

Yes you are if you prefer, you want to reduce understeer though so the rear bar matters, front too, as the rear compresses it's adding more negative camber anyway which will be early on soft springs the Meisters have, so -1.5f -1r are where I'd consider with those on the road, ideally dropping the front bar size, or -2f -1.5r fast road if it had a better rear bar and a reduced front perhaps. Track -2 - 2.5f and -2r only with a strong rear bar even if set low in the wet is about what I use myself or maybe slightly more with the bar set higher and other small things but I have heavier springs. Toe is better having a little going in at the rear and almost parallel up front to slight out even for track.

Hope it makes sense ;O) All hugely personal settings entirely dependent on driver ability, car spec, setup, conditions etc. Not all alignment shops will even use settings you want or really know what could work better on your car.

-.5 would be too positive for me personally, maybe on my classic for road which I think is about there.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers all, very useful info. Most places near me are chains like kwik fit and f1 so not sure how amenable they will be. The guys who did it last time are pretty chilled but it was their recommended settings that I have now so hopefully won't be offended!

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
I take them to be done and have my settings for what can be changed at least added into the target data, at first it could appear to be normal but sometimes the factory data will differ to what is on the print. We didn't change so much here as it didn't have aftermarket top mounts but it was still better for a ring trip. £108 including changes which includes my time taking it to get done and change what I want. I've been fortunate over the last 14 years the same people operate the kit and accept I know what I want haha, one day I'll go and it'll all have changed. 20 plus years back I did mine myself when I had access to the gear, I remember making shims for the classic Mini trailing arms to get what I wanted for the ring, it took ages as I remember.

·
Administrator
17,312 Posts
Camber: -1.75 front...-1.25 rear
Toe: 1/16th out per side front, 1/32 toe in each side rear

If going on track with sticky tyres: Camber: -2.0 front...-1.5 rear unless the rear needs to rotate more for your style of driving then drop it down to -1.0

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Local shop near me, a chain, put it to factory, press save and print for records then make any changes I want. Suspect most will do that.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again all, any laser place do the job or aim for a hunter hawkeye jobby?

·
Administrator
17,312 Posts
I always go Hunter personally but I'm sure any reputable laser place can do it... same when getting tyres done, I always go somewhere that will road force balance them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts