MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The dust boot/gaitor is on the way out so needs addressing. Is there any point having them refurbished when you can pick up new TRW for similar? Is there any quality difference to OEM?

Appreciate more economical if you can rebuild yourself but it's not something I've done before, and with a couple of trackdays coming up I'd rather know the brakes worked!

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, probs a few ££ more for new but a lot less faff than sending the olds off etc.

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
Last time I got some from euro/cp4l I had to return my old ones to them within a week, so if you don't need the car take your old ones when you go collect the new ones to save fucking about.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
seal kit is £12 or something, dust seal just pops out with the piston out, lube and slide the new one over the piston base before hooking it into the caliper bore and just wind in, check it drops into its groove on the way, refit and bleed brake, done. You have to buy a kit as nobody seems to sell the dust seals on their own currently, although I have 20 on order after some emails, they wouldn't sell less, these will be sold individually, still some might find the full kit better value which is ok, I'll use the dust seals anyway as they melt from track use quite early on.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last time I got some from euro/cp4l I had to return my old ones to them within a week, so if you don't need the car take your old ones when you go collect the new ones to save fucking about.
Yeah fair few offer an exchange, might keep the old set though to attempt a rebuild myself - might be useful knowledge one day...

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seal kit is £12 or something, dust seal just pops out with the piston out, lube and slide the new one over the piston base before hooking it into the caliper bore and just wind in, check it drops into its groove on the way, refit and bleed brake, done. You have to buy a kit as nobody seems to sell the dust seals on their own currently, although I have 20 on order after some emails, they wouldn't sell less, these will be sold individually, still some might find the full kit better value which is ok, I'll use the dust seals anyway as they melt from track use quite early on.
This is actually my problem after a couple of trackdays. Is there much of a risk of damage to the piston/caliper etc from dust/crap making their way past the perished seal?

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
if you leave it long enough in use yes, perhaps after such use (or before) perhaps, clean, and re-grease the slide pins, they can bind up in dried out grease residue when that hot, increasing the likelihood of this melting as it can lead to significant bind obviously adding to heat, so working them well into the guides I free and rinse them several times making sure they feel totally smooth in operation before adding clean grease and working that in. If changing pads before you renew the seal, in case it's all full of dust etc just remove the piston imo, don't wind it in at all, clean everything and re-bleed it after greasing seals etc. I'd still reuse the remains of the seal, some is better than none perhaps.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another caliper boot question - rear this time!

Changing the rear pads and merrily wound the piston back, it looks like the boot got caught with it and has fouled up or even got pulled behind it maybe (not sure if possible)?
Either way..
a - is it fubarred
b - can I fix it? Can you wind the piston back out a bit maybe?
c - I love learning the hard way :)

Pics for your entertainment IMG_20200623_164934.jpg

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't seem damaged anywhere, just a little squashed. Am I better off pumping in situ with the old pads to make sure it doesn't pop out?

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
just turn it by hand with wd applied to help stop the boot binding if poss

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, before I wd40 it and wind it back in, does this look ok now or is it supposed to be doubled over on itself? Had a look at pics online and they all look a bit different, though it sems consistent with some...
Definitely no tears/damage which is good! IMG_20200624_202345.jpg

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Phew, cheers mate... I'll dab a bit of wd40 inside the boot and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheers for all your help, deffo one to be labelled under learning the hard way/making a meal of it :ROFLMAO:
Reckon the next side will take me 20 mins now.

Ah well, hope you enjoyed the thrilling journey as much as I did!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts