MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
R56 Steering rack in an R53, can it be done? I know anything can be done with enough time money and skill, but can it be done by me. I know that the mounting is slightly different and that on a standard setup the exhaust manifold may foul the motor unit. But on something a bit more off piste like my car is it possible?

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its electric and I've never heard of one failing. I have nowhere for a pas fluid tank, I can get one complete for £25 delivered off Ebay. Im sure I'll be able to think of more if I try

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
As above, if the distance between pivots is the same then I am sure a man of your talents will be able to adapt it & even if it isn't the same it can still possibly be modified to be the same.

·
Bugger
25,313 Posts
The subframes are actually nearly identical in terms of mounting at the front. they only differ once the tubes go backwards. Strictly speaking an R56 conversion would be possible with a tubular subframe.

·
Bugger
25,313 Posts
If anyone has a spare they want me to test for the drive shafts, my gearbox is out atm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Following this, be interested in how you get on [mention]Astroboy [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rack arrived yesterday but I just got round to unwrapping it today. There 30mins of my life I won't get back.

Initial inspection confirms its chalk and cheese with the R53 rack. If just one of the mounting points lines up I'll count it as a win. I can see me welding bolt tubes into the subframe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts