MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a 2013 R56 JCW.
My question is this: Can I recharge the key-fob, whilst it is in-situ in the dash, whilst also recharging the car battery?
So, in essence, charge both at the same time?
I'm doing few car journeys at the moment, so I want to keep both fully charged, with the colder weather approaching.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I don't think so because my fob went flat when it was in the ignition with the car unused for a few months. But can you charge the fob on a wireless phone charging pad?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so because my fob went flat when it was in the ignition with the car unused for a few months. But can you charge the fob on a wireless phone charging pad?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Hmm, I'm not quite sure that's the same thing? :unsure:
I want to charge both the car & key fob battery at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,528 Posts
my understanding was that the engine had to be on for the key to charge, so I'm going to say it's unlikely, I may be wrong and maybe it's just an ignition requirement, then who'd want to leave the ignition on for a prolonged period with a car unattended,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my understanding was that the engine had to be on for the key to charge, so I'm going to say it's unlikely, I may be wrong and maybe it's just an ignition requirement, then who'd want to leave the ignition on for a prolonged period with a car unattended,
Nobody, if it's not somewhere safe. It'll be in a locked garage, just trying to establish if the 'process' will work.
I could go ahead and just try.....but I'm a little concerned about damaging something, better 'safe than sorry'!
I've posted the same question over on NAM, maybe someone has tried it over there.

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,528 Posts
I don't think it will really, it'll just sap the remote's charge I suspect as it wakes up the CAS to remove the steering lock etc, pretty sure from memory I've had the occasional car here with steering lock off and reduced key voltage warning come up, or may have been during software updates tbf, can't really remember,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so I've gotten a reply from an owner of a 2013 GP, over on NAM.
Apparently, he leaves his GP on a battery charger, specifically designed for AGM batteries. (not sure what difference that makes)
According to him, it does indeed recharge the key fob whilst in situ, in the dash.
Happy days! :)

·
Premium Member
6,528 Posts
did he say if it was ign on or off?

·
Premium Member
6,528 Posts
so that's like the accessory position 1 if the start button isn't being pressed at all, fair enough if they're happy it's charging

·
Registered
JCW N18
110 Posts
Ive charged mine with Philips toothbrush charger.
Key was off for years then charge it and worked -still works.
The keyfob its unable to charge the key, it can only be able to maintain it.

Use a philips toothbrush and you will be just fine:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts