MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just weighing up my remapping options for the Clubby as I now have my Kav’s carbon clutch fitted thanks to Milly’s Autos near Nuneaton which is what I waiting for before up’ing the power. Below is my current spec and you can see I'm ready for a remap as I have no further plans for head work, strengthening or cams just yet:

- N14 Factory JCW so already has JCW exhaust and manifold, JCW turbo etc
- AEM Cold Air Intake
- Saikou Michi dual catch can
- Evolve Decat
- Evolve V2 Black Intercooler
- Ignition Project Plasma Coils
- Kav's carbon clutch
- GFB DV+ BOV

The options I have considered so far, in alphabetical order:

1320 – St Neots - Manic mini maps+DNA maps – Has a Dyno
Evolve – Luton – Evolve map– Has a Dyno
Hybrid-performance.co.uk - Herefordshire - DNA maps - Dyno TBC
Manic Mini – Daventry - Manic mini maps - Dyno TBC
P-Torque – Wolverhampton – P-Torque maps - Has a Dyno

Is there any update on these Manic Maps as there’s not much info on them, other than a couple of dyno graphs showing some great numbers. Are they canned maps, stage 1,2,3 etc and you just purchase the one that best suits your mods?

I have previous experience with P-Torque and they are close enough to me that I am swaying that way for my maps as they did a great job twice on my R53. But as with all the mods on my car, I like to do a bit of research into the other options to make an educated decision.

Dont let this thread become a tuner war, I just want to understand the options each gives you over the other.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John 'Leccy Blue' had a Manic Mini Remap on his JCW Clubbie, have a look on his project thread. Great gains, and no reported problems yet?
Thanks, his is one of the examples I have seen for the Manic Map's and also had a chat with John about it. Im interested to understand more about their mapping process, they are showing some great results, but I would like to know if they are custom maps for each car or a choice of different stage maps that fit closest to your level of mods?

·
Werthers
6,596 Posts
Best to give them a call and ask for a full discription and what is on offer.

From what I have seen and experienced, I would be going down the 1320/manic route as Johns numbers are great and he loves the way it drives, 1320s R56 was mapped with meth, hybrid, forged rods/pistons and catcams and works very well and also my car seems to be working well on the road and I will see how it does out on track in a few weeks.

·
Learning!
5,759 Posts
Not a criticism, but IMO you can't start a thread like this without it turning into a bun fight - my advice would be to PM people for their opinions, as you are more likely to get a truthful answer ;)

My experience at P-torque was a good one, great gains and as you know already, Will knows his stuff http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272/project-chilli-red-sloth-27889/index28.html

1320 stopped using DNA for a reason, however Manic are new to MT so not a lot of experience of them on here.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a criticism, but IMO you can't start a thread like this without it turning into a bun fight - my advice would be to PM people for their opinions, as you are more likely to get a truthful answer ;)

My experience at P-torque was a good one, great gains and as you know already, Will knows his stuff http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272/project-chilli-red-sloth-27889/index28.html

1320 stopped using DNA for a reason, however Manic are new to MT so not a lot of experience of them on here.
Your point makes sense. I must have missed your write up on P-torque originally, just had a good read and it sounds great, similar to my R53 and backs up my current choice which will be P-Torque. I started this thread as there are some good results from Manic but not seen much more info than two dyno graphs so far.

·
Flame grilled?
9,958 Posts
Been talking to James via pm & thought I'd share my 'Manic' experience :thumbup1:

The 'manic' maps are pre set, stage 1-2-3 etc. Thomas ran the car on the dyno to check all was well, & get a base run, then we decided which 'stage' I wanted (chose stage 2 which the Manic guy said would be good for fast road + drag strip), then Thomas loaded it, ran on the dyno again to check all was well. Apparently you can buy a 'dongle' ( I think that's what it's called :tongue_smilie:) which has stage 1-2 & 3 already pre loaded, this plugs in to the OBD port, you can then change between stage maps yourself, iirc this 'dongle' costs an extra £100 (I think) I didn't want to faff around with this (+ the extra cost involved) so just had stage 2 loaded into the car.

On the road...taken from my project thread the day of the map...

Then it was time for the road test, tbh I didn't know what to expect when out on the road, I had visions of trying to tame some kind of wild animal, absolutely nothing of the sort, the extra power is fed in so smoothly, so much quicker than before, instantly noticable, but very controllable. Probably the best feeling for me was the extra torque, did a few acceleration bursts in what was 1 higher than I should have been in & the torque just wound up & the car instantly picked up speed & pulled...& pulled. Obviously quicker through the gears now too, 3rd gear is just fucking epic!!

The drive home was awesome, I do plenty of motorway miles, so I wanted the map to give extra torque when accelerating from cruising at 80-ish mph in 6th, well I've got that, it pulled so well when I planted my foot I had to check I was still in 6th & not in 5th a couple of times .

I'd love to be able to tell stories of caning the arse off every 1000bhp supercar on the way home, sadly I think they all stayed at home today, still had fun though, a couple of German repmobiles got very small in the rear view mirror very quickly ha ha & I had 'Manic' grin all the way home. The map does exactly what I'd hoped it would, it's nice to see some 'fairly' big numbers at the end of it, but the way I look at it, it's the way the car drives that I'm more concerned about, & I'm more than happy with that

All in all, one VERY happy customer, can't recommend this map & Thomas's help enough .

Thanks to ALL at 1320/Manic Motorsport

Dyno graph

Mods at the time the map was done are:
Airtec FMIC
Evolve sportcat downpipe
AEM Intake

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just wondering what the reason was. I guess because they prefer manic so it does not make sense to deal with two mapping companies?

Remap for my car, if I keep it, has always been the last thing to get done. As I only see the point in doing it once.

Over on babybmw ptorque do get good reviews, DNA tried to market on there but with little success. Evolve also get good reviews on there. There are some tuners who do not seem to work on the mini or get little call for it but some like Jason at bwchiptune seem to know what they are on about. There also seems to be some knowledge of where some mappers get their maps from.

This is the bit that worries me because the whole mapping industry seems full of people who can just get a file, perhaps in the same way as you can get a DVD or album on the internet these days and then hook up a laptop to your car and download it. What my IT man at work knows about cars is nothing yet even he offers this service.

How many of these tuners are just simply loading a file, and perhaps changing 1 or 2 aspects of it if that is worrying. Those that do it all themselves and tailor to your car are the ones that I would use. But knowing who these are and who just says they do is something you may not ever be able to find out.

The other aspect I find worrying is those companies willing to do a remap with no rolling road run. Unless you can sense boost levels etc throughout the rev range, I would not have found out I had a boost problem on my car unless it was found on the rr like it was when imran at evolve tried to remap my car. Turned out to be a faulty forge diverter valve that forge test fitted on my car ages ago. My remap day was wasted as a result and now have to pay for a remap where as I was originally getting a remap in exchange for a turbo I gave evolve.

Looking forward to hearing some peoples experiences.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I've had stock -> Evolve -> stock -> DNA. My car is currently having some work done at 1320 and it'll be mapped by Manic. I don't wish to go into much detail at this stage but I wouldn't personally go near DNA again. I was very happy with the Evolve remap but due to wanting more power from my hybrid, I decided to look elsewhere. I would recommended Evolve though and their quest for customer satisfaction is exemplary. Once my car is back, I'll be happy to do an honest comparison between the various remaps that I've had on my R56.

·
Werthers
6,596 Posts
The issue with DNA tuning is once you have the car mapped and handed over the money it's like your dealing with another person. Hence why my car is now mapped by manic Motorsport.

I understand your comment about their being many many companies out there that claim to be tuning companies but it actually a man that has a laptop and loads files they have bought on to customers cars and when something goes wrong they go missing or can't give you a valid reason/answer as to why it's doing what it's doing.

I'm not going to go raving about my current map until I am 100% happy with it. So far it's excellent on the road and hopefully next week I will know what it's like on track.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Been talking to James via pm & thought I'd share my 'Manic' experience :thumbup1:

The 'manic' maps are pre set, stage 1-2-3 etc. Thomas ran the car on the dyno to check all was well, & get a base run, then we decided which 'stage' I wanted (chose stage 2 which the Manic guy said would be good for fast road + drag strip), then Thomas loaded it, ran on the dyno again to check all was well. Apparently you can buy a 'dongle' ( I think that's what it's called :tongue_smilie:) which has stage 1-2 & 3 already pre loaded, this plugs in to the OBD port, you can then change between stage maps yourself, iirc this 'dongle' costs an extra £100 (I think) I didn't want to faff around with this (+ the extra cost involved) so just had stage 2 loaded into the car.

On the road...taken from my project thread the day of the map...

Then it was time for the road test, tbh I didn't know what to expect when out on the road, I had visions of trying to tame some kind of wild animal, absolutely nothing of the sort, the extra power is fed in so smoothly, so much quicker than before, instantly noticable, but very controllable. Probably the best feeling for me was the extra torque, did a few acceleration bursts in what was 1 higher than I should have been in & the torque just wound up & the car instantly picked up speed & pulled...& pulled. Obviously quicker through the gears now too, 3rd gear is just fucking epic!!

The drive home was awesome, I do plenty of motorway miles, so I wanted the map to give extra torque when accelerating from cruising at 80-ish mph in 6th, well I've got that, it pulled so well when I planted my foot I had to check I was still in 6th & not in 5th a couple of times .

I'd love to be able to tell stories of caning the arse off every 1000bhp supercar on the way home, sadly I think they all stayed at home today, still had fun though, a couple of German repmobiles got very small in the rear view mirror very quickly ha ha & I had 'Manic' grin all the way home. The map does exactly what I'd hoped it would, it's nice to see some 'fairly' big numbers at the end of it, but the way I look at it, it's the way the car drives that I'm more concerned about, & I'm more than happy with that

All in all, one VERY happy customer, can't recommend this map & Thomas's help enough .

Thanks to ALL at 1320/Manic Motorsport

Dyno graph

Mods at the time the map was done are:
Airtec FMIC
Evolve sportcat downpipe
AEM Intake
Bumping this thread. Thinking of getting mine mapped with a manic map.

From what you have said is there an element of customising the map. Or do they just load a preset map of parameters and off you go? Or is it a manic base map and then it is customised from there?

I don't want a pre set map loaded on and that's it, I want a custom map.

Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
The map is supplied by Manic and loaded on by a approved vendor. It takes into account the specification of your car and the components you have installed. Once loaded your car has a choice of 4 modes: stock, A,B and C, each more aggressive than the previous . As mentioned you can buy an SPS switch which will allow you to switch between the modes yourself. I and from what I gather alot of others just leave the car in mode B as it gives you 95% of the performance without running the car at the limit all the time. If you do a search on this forum you will soon learn that the Manic option is really the only option for the R56 platform if you want the best available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts