MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I left my mini at the airport for 10 days whilst I was away with work (I had the key so it hasn't been driven by anyone)

It drove to the airport fine 10 days ago but when I drove it home today it had no power, could barely rev past 3k and was spluttering and sounding like a diesel car. I pulled over and checked oil, coolant etc and all was good, so I limped it home during which it didn't get any worse or overheat or anything like that.

I have scanned for fault codes and nothing came up and there's no lights on the dash either.

I'm not too sure where to start trying to sort this out. Any ideas?

Here's a video of how it sounds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check the pressure of your HPFS, you have live data gauge, so should be able to read it.
Depending on the measurement units you get, it should be >4500kPa or 45 Bar/Atm when idling. In driving mode, under pressure, you would be seeing number like 100Bar. This way you could rule out the HPFS.
it is normal to go slightly below 4500kPa, but if you see some anything below, i have bad news for you.
If you have better diag equipment, go to the ECM, HPFS and look at the live data. You would be able to see expected pressure vs. actual.

Another thing that caused similar behavior on my end was that vacuum hose popped out. The downside was that it was one of the 4 hoses under the intake and was a pita to fix.

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've just changed the spark plugs as they were horrible and unfortunately that hasn't solved the problem.

I've just noticed The car smells like its running quite rich.

Where is the lambda sensor to check that?

Checked the HPFS and that seems to be as you say, all pipes seem to be attached and fine

Manifold isn't glowing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check long term fuel trim on the live data. Typically bmw ecus are very talkative. Even on eobd generic reading you see all kinds of ratios (current vs expected). I am using Launch, but pretty much any obd reader is capable of displaying these.
Could be timing chain as well. What's the mileage and was it ever replaced?

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll check the sensor when I get a chance. There's no codes when I read them or lights on the dash which is strange.

I'll see if my ultragauge can show me those details as well. Timing chain was done about 15-20k ago along with decoke and lots of other work. Car is on 99k.

Just strange that something has happened whilst its been sat stationary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts