MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rotrex FTW
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I want to buy these seats from BMW, but what other parts do I need to make this work?

I have so far only ordered these.
01 JCW Sport seat, leather, front left OLD JCW LOGO 1 52100421081 See EBA 0427330
02 JCW Sport seat, leather, front right OLD JCW LOGO 1 52100420668 See EBA 0427330

·
freedom...blah
4,069 Posts
Mike, it's worth dropping a PM to Scraggles - Craig was very helpful when I had mine fitted (I just don't have any of the original PMs from him).

Reactions: Mike S

·
Dead One
2,726 Posts
Hi Mike, I fitted R56 sliders. The R53 ones can be made to fit but the cable from the back handle doesn't fit, so you can't slide them when you tilt them forward to get into the back, without using the slider handle also. If thats not a problem, then use the R53 sliders.
The R53 belt tensioners can be made to fit.
For wiring the airbag you can simply splice the connectors.
And wiring the seat heaters needs the box of electronics under the seat needs cutting off. That leaves a pair of wires running to the heater pad in the back and a pair of wires to the pad in the base and a thinner thermostat sensor wire in the base. Splice these into the connector and the heaters will work too.

But what Colin said really, lets see it running and you driving it before you go making it comfortable! :)

·
Rotrex FTW
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike! get your car running again first!
It's starting tomorrow Colin. I'm making future plans :lol: The seats take 3-4 weeks to arrive anyways :)

Hi Mike, I fitted R56 sliders. The R53 ones can be made to fit but the cable from the back handle doesn't fit, so you can't slide them when you tilt them forward to get into the back, without using the slider handle also. If thats not a problem, then use the R53 sliders.
The R53 belt tensioners can be made to fit.
For wiring the airbag you can simply splice the connectors.
And wiring the seat heaters needs the box of electronics under the seat needs cutting off. That leaves a pair of wires running to the heater pad in the back and a pair of wires to the pad in the base and a thinner thermostat sensor wire in the base. Splice these into the connector and the heaters will work too.

But what Colin said really, lets see it running and you driving it before you go making it comfortable! :)
Thank you scraggles! I want the car working as per OEM, so I'll order the R56 seat sliders too.

The car doesn't have the seat heating option, so that's at least one less item to do. It's only the airbags I need to worry about then. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am going to attempt this but the colours are different. ie whats the purple and yellow cable paired with the black and white cable?

·
Premium Member
R53 DS
77 Posts
Hi Mike S,

How are you getting on with this?

Im just about to do the same thing, R56 JCW in an R53.

Im using R53 runners for now, till I can pick up a cheap R56 set of runners.

I also purchased R56 seat belt pretensioners, so planning to use them instead of R53 pretensioners.

Just waiting on a few bits before I install.

JK

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did it! Its easy.. Use R56 sliders. I used the R53 Seat belt pretensioners..
Best do the seats side by side. I just chopped the ends off both seats and soldered the R53 connections onto the R56 JCW seats. And everything worked! no warning lights.. all A OK!

·
Premium Member
R53 DS
77 Posts
Great stuff, they are so awesome.
I finally installed these just last Sunday.
I got R56 sliders and I found out that I had to re-use my own R53 pre-tensioners.

Did mine slightly different, I got some spare wiring from a scraped R53 and a scrapped R56 so I didnt have to cut any plugs off the R56 JCW seats or cut any plugs off my standard leather R53 seats that came out of my R53.
I used the spare wiring to make adapters, so i can sell the R56 seats again in the future in perfect condition.

JK

·
Registered
284 Posts
Great stuff, they are so awesome.
I finally installed these just last Sunday.
I got R56 sliders and I found out that I had to re-use my own R53 pre-tensioners.

Did mine slightly different, I got some spare wiring from a scraped R53 and a scrapped R56 so I didnt have to cut any plugs off the R56 JCW seats or cut any plugs off my standard leather R53 seats that came out of my R53.
I used the spare wiring to make adapters, so i can sell the R56 seats again in the future in perfect condition.

JK

this..... good work fella, ive been doing mods on my S that can easily be reverted back to stock with no chopping or cutting.

·
Registered
2003 R53
2 Posts
I am planning of doing the install of the r56 Recaro JCW Seats in my R53. I was able to purchase a mint set of the front and rear seats. I have the factory r56 seat wiring looms in case they are needed.
Any help as to how best to do the wiring would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2003 R53
2 Posts
Thanks for the the link and the quick reply. I guess I still have enough time to do this today.
I will post photos once I complete the install.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts