MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Werthers
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please post all links to yours or other after market FMICs for the R56. They can be for the one, cooper, cooper S or JCW. Data MUST be provided so that we can create a section for people to easily understand what is on offer and what gains are to be had from them.

I will be updating this first post to make it easier for people to see what is out there every time someone posts more data.

ALTA FMIC:

Available in both silver and black.
Ambient Temperature 70ºF
Temp in 280ºF
Temp Out 105ºF
Intercooler Efficiency 83% (OEM= 53%)
Pressure Drop ALTA 1.5psi vs OEM 2.0psi
OEM Core Size 21.3" x 3.25" x 2.5"
ALTA Core Size 23" x 8.76" x 1.75" (215% bigger)

Evolve V2 FMIC:

Available in both silver or black.

Forge FMIC:

For the 2007 onwards models* (R56/R57) BMW Mini Cooper S Turbo we have developed a more efficient intercooler. As a reduction in intake air temperature increases the density of the charge mixture within the combustion cylinder any temperature reductions will equate to more power. This intercooler is constructed using a combined 80/40mm high thermal efficiency core, with a 250% larger surface area and a 125% thicker base core, to achieve the best possible results.

Helix Motorsports FMIC:

TyrolSport FMIC:

Wagner Pre & Post Facelift FMIC:

Pre Facelift:
Mini Cooper S R56 (2007-2010) Intercooler Kit from Wagner Tuning
High-performance Intercooler core with turbulators in a stepped design
Size 550x110x90 / 550x210x30, 6435cm³ volume (Std 540x65x85mm, 2984cm³ volume)
Cast aluminum CAD / FEA optimized air tanks
Intercooler uses the original mounting points
~220% larger frontal area compared to OEM intercooler
~110% greater volume than OEM charge air intercooler

Post Facelift:
High-performance network with turbulators in a stepped design
Size 550x110x90 / 550x210x50, 8.745cm ³ volume (Std 540x65x85mm, 2.984cm ³ volume)
Cast aluminum CAD / FEA optimized air tanks
Intercooler uses the original mounting points
~220% larger frontal area compared to OEM intercooler
~280% greater volume than OEM charge air intercooler

·
Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
622 Posts
Talking about the Wagner FMIC... Why there is such a huge difference between pre facelift and post facelift volume? Is there such a big difference or is it just a typing fault in their webpage?
:confused1: . Interested in it and just asking.

·
Werthers
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talking about the Wagner FMIC... Why there is such a huge difference between pre facelift and post facelift volume? Is there such a big difference or is it just a typing fault in their webpage?
:confused1: . Interested in it and just asking.
The front bumpers and mounting points are different on the LCI models so it allows a larger FMIC (I think).

·
Werthers
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the Wagner I saw 2-5bhp drop. With the evolve you normally see 5-7bhp gain.

Will you notice this? No.

The job of a FMIC is not to make power, it's to allow the car to make full power for longer with lower IATs.

·
Registered
299 Posts
With the Wagner I saw 2-5bhp drop. With the evolve you normally see 5-7bhp gain.

Will you notice this? No.

The job of a FMIC is not to make power, it's to allow the car to make full power for longer with lower IATs.
Thanks George, IIRC the Wagner is £100 odd cheaper too I think. May well be an option then :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
That is subjective. Evolve FMIC which is believed to be from radtec has some data on here when czar developed it with radtec. Think it was pitched against the forge item and did better. So you would benchmark that. Wagner came along but there is only data I think from George that shows it against standard. Think it lowered IAT but lost power as there was discussion over this. They now have a new one which I am sure George can comment on. Think it's lighter in weight but that is all I know.

Some people are happy with airtec but seen no data. Any my mechanic has had good results from Chinese made ones so at the end of the day make your choice and get a remap to make the most from it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm thinking about the evolve intercooler for my GP2. Anybody know if there are any fitment issues with the front JCW grill? Like there are with forge version.

·
Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
622 Posts
There is nothing worse than a Chinese intercooler... I was having better air intake temperature numbers by using just an AEM intake than a friend of mine! :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts