MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ninja
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So, my car started doing this a couple of months ago. Started by doing it once a month maybe. Then once every 2 weeks and now got to the point that is doing it 3 times per week and stalling 2 or 3 times every time.

Took it to the MINI dealer as I thought it could be the HPFP, but they managed to found nothing but a leaking water pump. They blamed the water pump (?!) and got it changed as it was faulty anyway, but as soon as I tried to drive off after picking up my car it stalled again. They took it back in, said it should be a one off and shushed me away.

Obviously it wasn't. The car has no fault codes and I checked the readings for engine temperature and they're okay, so it wouldn't seem to be a faulty thermostat or so.

My best guess is HPFP, but as I only do short trips with the car think it could be coking really bad too... This is also the 2nd engine.

Any ideas?

·
Learning!
5,805 Posts
Did they check the fuel rail pressures - if they can do it when it's playing up my bet is they'd find a problem.
Could also be the thermostat and some have reported this as down to faulty temp sensor
Speak to George Talbot ;)

·
Learning!
5,805 Posts
^^^ unlikely to be the problem tbh
Yes - the carbon issues are a pain, but they're not the root of ALL evil

·
Learning!
5,805 Posts
Don't think he has mate.
When mine was playing up it didn't make any difference what you did to the throttle, it just kept chugging and gasping on its own accord.

My issue just disappeared btw

·
Ninja
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No HPFP or decoking with this engine yet.

I thought it could be a faulty temperature sensor/thermostat but checked the engine temp readings on cold start with my laptop and they were alright (no crazy values). Might be a sporadic issue.

Reving up actually helps a little bit as when it stalls or when it just cranks the rpm is around 500, while when it finally works alright is around 1000rpm.

Will take it back to the dealer on Monday... will discuss so I don't have to pay a new diagnosis (that obviously failed).

·
Learning!
5,805 Posts
I would push them for a repeat diagnosis as they clearly didn't "diagnose" and you've paid for it

Good luck and let us know how you get on

·
Ninja
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They usually check it when I go for service. I mentioned the HPFP the first time around but they dismissed it.

Dropping my car off today, they said they wouldn't charge me for further diagnosis. This issue is sporadic so I believe it could be the case that it never happened while the car was there (apart from when I tried to drive off). I'll show them the video as well.

·
Ninja
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, they just called me and apparently the issue is the HPFP... What a surprise. Ugh.

Anyone knows the part no.s? I was looking into realoem:

01 High-pressure pump 1 13517588879
Necessary for repair
-- Pressure hose assy 1 13537528348

So, does it mean I need the second part no as well?

·
Ninja
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HPFP changed. Car seems fine now and runs a lot smoother.

My girl Ingrid is happy again

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 mini Cooper s has a cold start problem. I took it to get the tank fuel pump checked has 75 lb

·
Registered
2 Posts
^^^ unlikely to be the problem tbh
Yes - the carbon issues are a pain, but they're not the root of ALL evil
There are people who believe they are. It's like the "Oh, it's the HPFP" group.

You can see a tipoff to whether it could be carbon by looking at any picture of coked-up valves. Do they look alike? No, never. One or two will always lead the way and misfire first before all four are misfiring due to carbon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts