MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Looking for a bit of advice... has anyone installed factory xenons headlights to a R53.. if so is it a big job? My R53 project doesn’t have them and I’m considering...attempting.. to install them if possible. Any info would be appreciated.

Stu

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought R53's came with xenons as stock

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I think it’s because the person that purchased the car originally selected a pepper pack instead of a chilli pack... the car has full leather, sat nav, p/roof, MF steering wheel tho? So it’s a bit of a strange one

·
Bugger
25,452 Posts
Nope not on pre face lift...as far as I no
Only on Chili pack, still wasn't standard post fl either.

What's worse was the folk who didn't do the LSD as a free option on chili or pick the anthracite headliner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
They should be plug and play, manual adjustment works just like before, though the auto levelling might be mandatory for UK MOT? Newer cars require coding as the headlights will flicker otherwise.

Reactions: citro

·
Bugger
25,452 Posts
They should be plug and play, manual adjustment works just like before, though the auto levelling might be mandatory for UK MOT? Newer cars require coding as the headlights will flicker otherwise.
Auto leveling and washers are needed for the UK, its easy enough to fit the sensors on the front and rear wishbones but I'm not sure how easy it is to wire it all up. From the chaps I know who worked in the dealers, this along with the idea of an air con retrofit were just considered a plain waste of money for the time it would take.

Reactions: citro

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Auto leveling and washers are needed for the UK, its easy enough to fit the sensors on the front and rear wishbones but I'm not sure how easy it is to wire it all up. From the chaps I know who worked in the dealers, this along with the idea of an air con retrofit were just considered a plain waste of money for the time it would take.
Anyone recommend some bright headlight bulbs!! Haha :lol:

·
Bugger
25,452 Posts
Mines is pre-fl and it has xenons

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
He meant they were not standard on pre FL, nor were they on post FL, you had to have the chili pack for them or it was a cost option. As was aircon and a CD player at that point. My Cooper had no options ticked when I got it in 2003, it still has its tape player in it.

·
That's you, that is.
313 Posts
There was an official retrofit kit for xenons back in pre-FL days. It was quickly dropped though as it was a colossal faff to install. Not only did you need the washers, reservoir and levelling sensors but you also had an additional wiring loom that you had to splice into the main loom in about 10 places. Plus coding to bring it all together.

I looked into this a while back for mine and decided not to bother. Think I have the fitting instructions for the retrofit kit somewhere. I bought some brighter bulbs for now and may acquire some FL non-xenon units at some point to replace my pitted and yellowed originals.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There was an official retrofit kit for xenons back in pre-FL days. It was quickly dropped though as it was a colossal faff to install. Not only did you need the washers, reservoir and levelling sensors but you also had an additional wiring loom that you had to splice into the main loom in about 10 places. Plus coding to bring it all together.

I looked into this a while back for mine and decided not to bother. Think I have the fitting instructions for the retrofit kit somewhere. I bought some brighter bulbs for now and may acquire some FL non-xenon units at some point to replace my pitted and yellowed originals.
Thanks for the info mate, yeah you’re right! Seems like a lot of work so may give it a miss. I’m beginning to notice all the little extras you don’t get when you choose non chilli! No front fog lights, interior lights, glovebox etc! All the little things are fixable but rather annoying

1 - 15 of 15 Posts