MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the actual weight of a R53 Cooper S?

I have searched it but there is a lot of conflicting answers! Same say 1190kg, others say 1140kg

Not a huge difference I'll admit, but just trying to work out what one would weigh without rear seats and two front bucket seats...

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Officially I think it is 1140kg for the R53 S. Obviously this varies depending on your trim and options...

I looked into it, as I wanted to know how much different MINIs weighed. We have an R56 SD, and I expected to be quite a bit less agile compared to the R53. But after getting to know it, it actually handles better standard. Found out it only weighs 10kg more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, just trying to work out what power R53 would compare to my 182 - so I can work out what power I'd need out of a Mini to be quicker if you get me

Isn't the official weight with a 70kg driver?
Oooh that would be interesting, brings it down to being more similar to a 182...if that's the case one at around 230/240 should go well!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks all, just trying to work out what power R53 would compare to my 182 - so I can work out what power I'd need out of a Mini to be quicker if you get me

Oooh that would be interesting, brings it down to being more similar to a 182...if that's the case one at around 230/240 should go well!

My last car was a 182 Trophy and my r53 jcw is definitely faster in a straight line! The Trophy felt more eager to corner and change direction but the MINI can hold its own.
Don't stress too much about power to weight because a decently powered diesel, such as a golf gtd, can keep up with either.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Thread resurrection! I don't know of any figures for that, but I'd be interested to find out. I was looking at scales I could buy to check the weight and weight distribution at home, mainly to ensure I'm towing legally once I get a trailer.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Try your local "public weigh bridge" I had one near me when I lived in Leeds and it only takes a few seconds to test axle weights f/r for free.

The one I used was in front of a local council building & you just drive right up to it slowly until there is a green light, then crawl forwards until you get a front axle weight then keep going at the same speed until you get a rear axle weight, then keep going for the third/forth if you are towing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts