MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after buying some brand new tail lights for our R53 it is still letting in water...

Any idea of how I can put this to bed and stop the leak? It's defiantly coming in via the tail lights as we have tested it with a hose on a light mist setting.

Anyone else had this problem? I know most answers for leaks online seam to be the 3rd break light and the boot lid grab handle but there are no signs of water coming in via those points.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your battery compartment isn’t already full of water 😬
This is how I found out there was a problem in the first place.

But even after brand new lights it's still getting in via the rear lights.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
a few have had some ingress, maybe not from the lights so much, lower rear screen trim clip washers or wiper grommet, I get some which is the latter,

if you've stripped the interior and have witnessed leak trace from the lamps then it is what it is, you'd have to seal them somehow, who'd know if perhaps the car has had a rear end repair, or whether there's a seam issue under the light etc,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a few have had some ingress, maybe not from the lights so much, lower rear screen trim clip washers or wiper grommet, I get some which is the latter,

if you've stripped the interior and have witnessed leak trace from the lamps then it is what it is, you'd have to seal them somehow, who'd know if perhaps the car has had a rear end repair, or whether there's a seam issue under the light etc,
We have manage to rule out all other options as we have used a lightly powered garden hose to water the rear lights and eliminate the other common areas.

We have owned the car for the last 7 years, so no accidents in that time and no other evidence to suggest any before we got it either.

under one of the rear lamps it is starting to bubble on close inspection, but can't see anything that would effect where the water is getting in.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
on mine I had someone shut in the boot with a light, they didn't mind too much 😂

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Yeah you need to be in the boot when someone is waving water over it. Start at the lowest points and then work up with the water. Take a torch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts