MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, ever since owning the car it takes a good 5 or more seconds to start.
Sometimes i turn the key on a cold morning and it catches straight away, other times it takes a second or two but more often than not takes about 5 or so seconds to start.
1320 checked my car for codes, to see if it was the cam sensor, which it showed none.
I have tried letting it prime first and not letting it prime before turning the key, neither seemed to make a difference.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Could it be fuel pump? fuel pressure regulating pipe? maybe perhaps just a shot starter motor?
Its also recently had a 17% pulley fitted with colder running NGK plugs, this has made no difference at all with starting, not made it worse nor better
any ideas are appreciated

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it could be a leaky injector to me.
Does it start quickly after it's been running?
Yes! even if i just start it from cold and stop it straight away, still stone cold it will start up again right away as long as it's been started within the last 5 or 10 mins it will jump straight to life. otherwise it chugs away for a few seconds before starting. What else could point towards it being this?

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Definitely sounds like injector then.
When its left standing the injector will dribble fuel into the cylinder meaning when you go to start it up, one cylinder is flooded causing the hard starting, lumpy running and fuel smell.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely sounds like injector then.
When its left standing the injector will dribble fuel into the cylinder meaning when you go to start it up, one cylinder is flooded causing the hard starting, lumpy running and fuel smell.
could that also lead to the big pop i get from my exhaust when trying to start sometimes? What is the fix for this, the new seals as said above or if the injector is dribbling, is that new injectors?

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
could that also lead to the big pop i get from my exhaust when trying to start sometimes? What is the fix for this, the new seals as said above or if the injector is dribbling, is that new injectors?
The fix is new injectors. Fortunately they're readily available and cheap too👍🏻

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Thinking about it, I'm sure I have a set somewhere🤔 Let me have a dig about in the garage🤞🏻

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fix is new injectors. Fortunately they're readily available and cheap too👍🏻
Well beens as i have recently had a 17% pulley fitted, i can get some jcw 380cc injectors for £125
Is this recommended? or just the standard 340cc ones. whats the best place to get them from if you dont mind pointing me in the right direction
Thanks for this!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
380s would give you some future proofing re further mods.
Yeah i was thinking this, plus atm with a 17% pulley i believe the stock 340cc will be running at about 92% capacity whereas with the 380cc it will be around the nominal 80ish percent

Thats me sold then, 380s it is!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi all, ever since owning the car it takes a good 5 or more seconds to start.
Sometimes i turn the key on a cold morning and it catches straight away, other times it takes a second or two but more often than not takes about 5 or so seconds to start.
1320 checked my car for codes, to see if it was the cam sensor, which it showed none.
I have tried letting it prime first and not letting it prime before turning the key, neither seemed to make a difference.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Could it be fuel pump? fuel pressure regulating pipe? maybe perhaps just a shot starter motor?
Its also recently had a 17% pulley fitted with colder running NGK plugs, this has made no difference at all with starting, not made it worse nor better
any ideas are appreciated
Had a coupla separate episodes of similar symptoms...Before throwing parts in, get the fuel rail pressure upon priming & when the engine runs...Gotta be around this...
I was ready to swap the suspected intermittent pump w/ a Walbro...Found it was just a brittled & broken intank supply hose from the pump to filter.
Replaced it w/ a DIY'd Gates submersible fuel hose.
The other episode? Did the same, checked the pressure. Culprit? This tiny pressure regulator on the Fuel Filter Assembly. I couldn't source just that part alone, had to buy a new filter housing.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts