MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I spent a few days taking apart my tacho and speedo to replace the LEDs from standard "dim orange" to a vibrant red. But I'm now having issues with needle accuracy.

Piccys: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Initially, all three gauges were wrong. I performed a system electronics reset, which sorted the speedo itself.

The fuel and temp gauges remain incorrect. On engine start-up, they both set themselves about 2/3rds of a block higher than they should be reading. If I push them into the correct place, they reset back to the incorrect position on next start-up.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
62 Posts
All modern vehicle gauges are stepper motors. The forces required to remove and apply the pointers are critical. Generally once assembled, disassembly is not a good idea. When the instrument clusters are initially manufactured, the needles are calibrated through their entire range by means of input signals to signify given speeds, temps, volumes pressures etc. The positions of the needles relative to the scales that they operate against are visually checked by intelligent camera systems. So, if the signal for a half tank of fuel is sent to the fuel gauge and it shows high or low, the camera sees this, tells the onboard cluster software via an industrial PC that it is wrong. The cluster will then adjust the needle to represent a half tank of fuel. This information is then stored in the cluster chip. At some point during the switch on process on your vehicle the pointer needles may come off their rest position and calibrate before giving a real indication of status. Quite how you now go about resetting your dials I am not quite sure (I only ever designed the the equipment that assembled and calibrated new clusters), but I'm pretty confident someone here has come across this issue before. I would advise strongly against removing and refitting the needles too many times. The stepper motors are pretty flimsy and I have seen complete spindles pulled out of steppers while removing needles.

·
#HypocriticalCoiloverCunt
3,304 Posts
Generally once assembled, disassembly is not a good idea. .
WTF, if people had your mindset, we would still be driving about in old Ford cars and steam trains because no-one wanted to open the engines to find out how it works...

Just take the needles off, plug you speedo into your car, then push the needles in once it has set itself, make sure that the main needle is pointing at 0, and the fuel and temp gauges are just below the empty line.

·
Registered
62 Posts
WTF, if people had your mindset, we would still be driving about in old Ford cars and steam trains because no-one wanted to open the engines to find out how it works...

Just take the needles off, plug you speedo into your car, then push the needles in once it has set itself, make sure that the main needle is pointing at 0, and the fuel and temp gauges are just below the empty line.
Just friendly advice from someone who's spent time in the industry. If knowledge and experienced was never shared, your car builds would probably be driving like an old Ford! WTF!...

·
#HypocriticalCoiloverCunt
3,304 Posts
Just friendly advice from someone who's spent time in the industry. If knowledge and experienced was never shared, your car builds would probably be driving like an old Ford! WTF!...
Nah fuck that. #Racecar

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts