MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

The remote keys on my R53 are only working manually. I have tried the reset procedure with the ignition / having the keys in the car but no luck. Problem is, locking this way does not activate the alarm.

In my previous R53 I had a badly fitted windscreen and water got into the rearview mirror and ruined the circuit board so I needed a new mirror to get the remotes working again.

In this car, there is no sign of water damage - are there any other things that can cause the remotes to not work?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,439 Posts
can just be the door actuators

sets the alarm on cars I have here with no remote function, if unlocking and not putting the ignition on within so many seconds they tell the world

Reactions: HyperR53

·
Registered
727 Posts
I presume you’ve changed both batteries just in case? Seems odd they both have packed up though, because if the OS actuator stopped working, the NS could still work?
Does the boot unlock via remote?

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
the connection in the mirror can corrode leading to neither key working.

eta - prefacelift and facelift are different, you can buy new modules for the prefacelift..... it's the facelift ones which can be cleaned.

ETA again.... Just "cleaned" my (bathed it on contact cleaner) and it still won't accept programming the keys....

Fucking minis!

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
If you've got an electric toothbrush (not sure if wireless phone chargers work) putting the keys on top of the charger for it can charge they battery in the keys.

Changing the batteries isn't hard, just fiddly, and the casings don't sit perfect after being prised open.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll have to look into this, I've got what I presume to be a facelift key as not same at the one in the video. Will try to prise it open and take a look.

Thought it was worth swapping the mirror from the other car as it is easy and worked before but clearly that issue the issue with this one.

If not batteries, will look into actuators as suggested by @CarsOrBikes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts