MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we bought a R53 in electric blue,

Negative points, it had a ridiculous exhaust on it, Hornet/Malian which was hugely offensive on test driving and on the 200 mile journey back, gave us a headache from the drone. The brakes didn’t feel like you were going to stop, but there was no fade so I knew it was only the pads and discs.

Loads of minor cosmetic niggles that weren’t evident in the pictures, but after the journey and deal to trade in our R55, it was a gamble worth taking. The LED spot lamps came off as soon as we got home…

The positives were the colour, really decent bodywork, low mileage for age at 87000 and extensive service history. It also had a remap, large intercooler and a Kav reduced pulley which gave a dyno reading of 199.9bhp!
Also fitted were a set of black 17” Wolfrace along with a full aero kit and some dechroming.

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First jobs we had to do after the spots off were brakes, wheel wobble at 65 and wipers.

All done ourselves as the pads and discs were shot, and after a quick search, decided to get a resonated centre section exhaust and a Milltek popped up and was bought.
Gas Automotive exterior Revolver Gun accessory Auto part
Automotive tire Road surface Manhole cover Asphalt Plant

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front end stripped down, grilles and headlight surrounds prepped and painted black as the grilles were faded to Matt grey almost! The scoop was also Matt black and held on my the shite spot lamps so more repairs and parts bought and painted!

Scoop was worth the effort in painting with cans and rubbing down between coats, got a decent shine to it now

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire Window
Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Plant
Car Vehicle Grille Photograph Vehicle registration plate
Hood Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exhaust attacked and the Milltek arrived but shorter, so that led to some swearing and a disc cutting of the existing pipe to the back boxes to make it fit. A 63mm sleeve sourced and fitted for the join has made the car sound much quieter but with a nice rumble and pops, although with only 1 bolt holding the cat to the centre section, it wasn’t helping with the noise!! However, the chopped bracket brace underneath is on the list to swap out

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Wood Brick Writing implement Office supplies Brickwork
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So that’s the main work done really, just a replacement OS screen trim to fit which is arriving tomorrow and it’s a much quieter and safer place to be!

Next job to work on is the notchy gear lever selection, as it can be an effort to move gears

·
Registered
46 Posts
So that’s the main work done really, just a replacement OS screen trim to fit which is arriving tomorrow and it’s a much quieter and safer place to be!

Next job to work on is the notchy gear lever selection, as it can be an effort to move gears
Top work, I’ve found that changing the gearbox oil has greatly improved the gear change in mine

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ll look at that then after the linkage lubrication

Also on the list, new belt line black to fit, both door check straps (as they don’t fully hold open) Headlight polish (already fitted better night breaker bulbs) New rear bumper aero decals, air filter breather pipe (slight split) and I’ll probably fit the lower front brace if possible the R52 chassis braces too.

Then finally a full exterior clean, clay bar and polish

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. Yeah the plate was cut when I got underneath, whether that was to fit the pipe that was there or some other time I don’t know.
The pipe that’s there wasn’t fitted well, apart from the bolt missing from the cat to centre pipe, the other joints had bolts that were only finger tight.

Whipped the air box off this afternoon, then cleaned and lubricated the linkages, and it’s made a big difference already. We’ll see if the penetration oil and grease works it way in more.
New OS screen trim sorted too.

Automotive tire Black Wood Style Line
Automotive tire Fixture Household hardware Gas Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Gas
Motor vehicle Asphalt Wood Gas Bumper
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Grille Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just a quick question, the heater matrix was changed just before we bought it, and the cover wasn’t replaced in the footwell. I’ve sourced that, but the matrix itself is sooooo hot, all the time, I just wanted to check that’s normal as I’ve not felt around on one before

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gave the car a good run yesterday, 150 miles of motorway, A roads and B roads, went like a dream, gear selection (not perfect smooth maybe) but 100 times better now
With the extra power along the A4 through Wiltshire one of my favourite fun open roads, it was so easy to pull by anything without effort

No headache from a droning exhaust, just a nice solid hum with enough noise to turn a head or two. Even had the joy of a racer in his Clio disappear in the mirror behind us when his was all noise and no substance

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Few more minor bits done today, been put off by the cold/wet weather recently 😂

Intercooler diverter fitted, replaced the gasket from the cat to Milltek centre section and fitted new bolts as one has been missing since we got it, hence a lot of noise unnecessarily. Bit of tinkering with the heater matrix as it was leaking from the connecting pipe area and hopefully that’s stopped, along with bleeding the system as it was noisy as hell at times and had some minor steam from the scuttle vents yesterday for some reason! New gearstick gaiter and ring fitted along with matching cup holders in dark grey rather than silver

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering part

Road surface Asphalt Grey Wood Font

Motor vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood Light

Grille Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Human body Finger Gas Elbow Human leg

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Line Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Font Gas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts