1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just bought myself a R53 project
Possible supercgahrger failure
The car belonged to a Friend and I bought it of him as I always wanted one,having previously had a Mini One and a load of classic Minis over the years,i just couldn't pass this one up.
The plan is to fix it and then do a few mods to it over the next few years.I am not sure if it is teh supercharger that is at fault as it has a kind of knocking noise kind of like a gone crank but ,not as bad,but the super charger isnt making a whine so I think it is it.
I have already picked up a nice low mileage super charger for it and if it is worse then I will pull the engine and repair accordingly.
It already has a few things done to it

17% Kavs reduction pulley
Kavs upgraded alloy deflection pulley
Some poly bushes on chassis
Induction kit
Standard exhaust with one ball mod fitted

Anyway nice forum Cheers Colm :thumbup:

https://imgur.com/a/a1FVMZF

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Make sure it's not the timing chain before you change the 'charger.... Or do both at the same time for piece of mind while you're in there ...

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Yeah the previous owner had the timing chain tensioner replaced as he thought it might be that but no luck
The mechanic said it was the super charger then
But sure I’ll find out in the next few days
I actually have a spare supercharger belt here so I was thinking of maybe taking the belt of and see if the noise is gone
I took a video of the sound the other day (I’m no Steven Spielberg )

https://youtu.be/JsKzeBi378M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If you do that, don't forget that the water pump is driven by the other end of the supercharger so don't be too long about it.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Yeah I guessed that
would it be a risk to cut the belt without putting anything in the supercharger tensioner hole
as I have a spare belt there it would be quiet easy to just cut and start and turn off and determine if it is the supercharger
or do you do damage if you did this
i would only be firing the car and then seeing if the sound is still there and turning of.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
the tensioner will drop onto the belt trapping it anyway

that noise sounds like it could be more than one item, possibly the chain area or the charger PTO really, seems quite loud near the pulley end and also high speed, maybe a long screwdriver with your ear to it will help determine if one area or the other, maybe a tooth off in the PTO, camera is moving around too much to hear properly, at 0:57 the tensioner wheel appears to be jumping a fair bit which could reflect snagging also.....

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi
Thanks for the reply CarsOrBikes
I got it taken on a truck to my Mechanic / Mate today
Had a quick look when we got there he says the tensioner pulley doesn't seem to move and the 2 holes that should be popping out from the tensioner ,neither of them are out.
Hopefully he will get a look at it tonight and I will have a update or tomorrow
Fingers crossed its just Supercharger and Tensioner

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so it is confirmed that the super charger is making the noise
and also the tensioner pulley is not the best so need to order some super charger oil and a tensioner as have the super charger here already and new belt also
Result as in at least the engine is fine :thumbup:
Mechanic is going to the Ring for a trip so will probably be 2-3 weeks before its all sorted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts