MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve had a R50 for 4 years, it’s had a few tweaks prior to me buying it, but at the time the gearbox was noisy so I picked it up cheap
A few more tweaks, water pump & gearbox later and I love the little rascal

My wife’s had the R56 One, which we played around with and R55 too, similar things, but this week we finally picked up a 2004 R53.

Loads of positives, as it’s been dyno’d at 200bhp, electric blue and dechromed (virtually all over) but there are a couple of cosmetic items to address and a couple of mechanics niggles too. It’s got a much bigger “hobo” intercooler, Ramair induction and chrome strut brace, 18” Wolfrace alloys

The heater matrix has been changed, but is missing it’s cover so the inside of the car is hot and when the heater is on cold, it’s cold at the vents but not at the seats which isn’t good.

The exhaust is ridiculously loud, so we’ll be selling that and getting something stock or quieter at least.

I’ve just bought new pads and discs as it doesn’t stop the greatest, but there’s no pedal fade so that’s ok.

Any thoughts or anyone with some parts for sale, it would be good to chat
Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood Automotive lighting

don’t worry, the shite LEDs are gone already
The black grilles and bonnet scoop are faded to death, so I’ve repainted them and the headlight surrounds today

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having been under the car and a bit of research and now tomorrow while I do the pads and discs, I’ll be checking the exhaust a bit more and looking to adjust some mounts and measure up for a resonator centre section as it’s a non-res exhaust and too loud

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, we sold the R55 for the R53 to be fair
Battling with brakes today, one side easy, the other I’ve had to drill off the bloody retaining screw of the disc, looks like they’ve not been changed in years!
Automotive tire Tire Wood Tread Finger

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finished repainting the grilles and scoop yesterday, ordered 2 mirrors as the existing ones are just Matt black shells bonded onto the proper silver mirror covers, and both fit and look shite

Would anyone have an idea about the heating? It’s cold at the vent, but doesn’t reach the seats very cold at all. A new heater matrix has been fitted and the cover for that is missing, so I was wondering if the heat that is giving off inside the cabin would be contributing

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’d recommend ordering stainless steel disc screws as replacements at about £4 on eBay for 4, so save the nightmare I had

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Don't forget that fitting stainless fixings to carbon steel will make the carbon steel corrode much faster, so maybe not the answer long term.

I have always preferred the grease it method. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, copper grease added where needed on the brakes
Least these will come out easily next time I change the discs, rather than drilling the buggers out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts