MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm looking at doing my wife's 09 plate poss over weekend , her chain isn't rattling yet but I thought may as well do this . Now I've been advised that you cannot just change the tensioner you must have the timing check as well at the same time ???
R56 owner

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sounds like it. I wouldn't get a new one yet though. Try taking it out and forcing it to rotate with your hands, as well as squeezing it and forcing it to move horizontally as well. I've also gotten my little finger in the hole that the tensioner goes into, then locate the small hole inside that I think provides some oil to the tensioner. If you can push your finger in there a little bit, I feel like it can clear any blockages if there are any. Also make sure you have enough oil - running low seems to also cause this problem.

I know it sounds a bit daft, but mine started to rattle a few months after replacing it and after doing the above it's been going strong for many more months now. Could be co-incidence but can't hurt to do it anyway.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Damn, this thing is impossible without that Wobble bolt! Just tried for over an hour and didn't want to strip it, will order the bolt and knock it out

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,407 Posts
A 3/8inch socket set with a wobble bar will do it if you move the hose clips on the heat exchanger hoses a bit, all attempts with a 1/2inch set are futile. You may have some success working blind from the top of the engine bay with a big spanner but access is a bit shit

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
That's my problem, my 3/8 inch set only goes to 18 mm, so I was using a 1/2 inch adapter with my neighbors 22mm, monkey balls! Gonna order the Wobble Extension and call it a night. Might take the cooler off still and try my dremel, but might wake the neighbors.... Ha

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Tried my 3/4 inch on my 1/8, matched up nicely. Just can't get the leverage to Crack it and can't find an angle on anything to leverage against, to use the jack as a leverage. Such a simple thing it seems. I'm no weakling either, just a novice. Damn I really didn't want to pay someone to do this.

This is what I am using

And I bought what they said was a Wobble bar extension, but this thing does not Wobble, what the hell.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I tried with a wobble joint and it wouldn't budge, kept slipping off.
I bought a set of wobble extension bars, and a set of wobble sockets (best things ever!).
Joined all the bars together, so it got me out of the wheel well so I could get my jack handle on the end of my ratchet.

Sounds like a faff, it was, but was much easier than trying to do it all in confined space... And it was in fucking tight!

·
Bugger
25,313 Posts
A 3/8inch socket set with a wobble bar will do it if you move the hose clips on the heat exchanger hoses a bit, all attempts with a 1/2inch set are futile. You may have some success working blind from the top of the engine bay with a big spanner but access is a bit shit
Not true, I've done it with the Halfords 1/2 inch. You have to jam the wobble bar and socket on 1st then attach the ratchet. It actually works pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,407 Posts
I've tried both of these methods including using funnily enough a Halfords half inch set and couldn't budge it with either. 3/8 gave a straight shot to the tensioner (although I suspect I cracked it with a spanner from above) and it undid no probs

·
Registered
406 Posts
I go from the top with my long handled flexi head snap on 3/8 with a short wobble extension and normal socket.

I always put the socket and extension on the bolt first then put my ratchet on.

I think the flexi head is quite useful and makes it slightly easie.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I go from the top with my long handled flexi head snap on 3/8 with a short wobble extension and normal socket.

I always put the socket and extension on the bolt first then put my ratchet on.

I think the flexi head is quite useful and makes it slightly easie.

You have a link for that flexi head? With what Wobble Extension?

One of my issues last night was even if I could get it on there, I couldn't seem to get the leverage to break the bolt free, and I couldn't find anything close to wrench to use as a leaver/breaker bar. Bolt is on there super tight! From the top is this easier?

·
Registered
406 Posts
You have a link for that flexi head? With what Wobble Extension?

One of my issues last night was even if I could get it on there, I couldn't seem to get the leverage to break the bolt free, and I couldn't find anything close to wrench to use as a leaver/breaker bar. Bolt is on there super tight! From the top is this easier?

This is Web images of the tools I use to do it mate I come from the top and put it back from the top seems to be easier to me.

and the socket is of normal size.

where my ratchet has a flexi I think it is easier for me to flex it around the oil housing etc and gain the leverage. Hope this helps.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts