MiniTorque.com banner

R53 Methanol/water usage

7K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  Herbie 
#1 ·
Evening guys.

Recently fitted the above to my mini with great results, but the usage seems to be excessive. A friend runs the same AEM kit on his big turbo Fiesta ST and hardly uses any (half a gallon on a 2hr track night). I've just completed a four hour track day and used almost three gallons!

I understand the SC nature will bring the spray on earlier than a big turbo car which doesn't come on boost fully until 3800rpm, but I do seem to be burning my way through a hell of a lot of wat/meth mix!

It's a great set up and wouldn't be without it, but just keen to know if anyone else has a similar set up and if so, what their usage levels are.

For reference the mini is 220 at the wheels.

Cheers,
Stevie

#3 · (Edited)
Was it the same track?
Otherwise your comparing apples with onions

How much petrol did you use in 4 hours of track time - compared to the 2 hour fiesta ?
It might make for a far better comparison

I ask also because
It Seems reading average mpg posted here that many would struggle to drive 4 hours on the road without a refill, so I'm assuming you used more than 1 full tank of petrol ?

A Quick calc to me suggests you could have used 3x his amount even on the same track:confused1:

Double the session time wise, + fuel effiency, then a extra factor for weight disadvantage, = 3 as a rough guess

#7 ·
That's the thing, I'm not entirely sure what the start psi should be. The car runs 14psi, so have set the start psi at 10 and max at 14. It's the AEM force induction kit.

I thought it was using a lot as the charger runs almost constantly? When my friends big turbo fiesta only runs boost after 3500rpm.

Stevie

#12 ·
Ok, sounds like it's setup spot on to me. The reason I was asking about the scale is that mine is 0-10 and I have to factor in atmospheric pressure as well as boost. Assuming your map sensor is ok at full boost the nozzle will be flowing 250cc/min the tank is quoted as being a gallon, which for a US gallon is about 3.7 liters, which if my maths is right will give you a theoretical 14.8mins for a tankful. If you're like me your tank will probably never be topped off. The controller will try to provide a ramp up of flow but in reality the way the R53 produces boost means if you hoof it then flow will be on or off

#13 ·
Sidebar....
Been looking into getting the AEM kit like this or the big daddy Aquamist hfs 3, the difference is like $500 and it will take me a while longer to save for it. Any of you guys use both or can speak to benefits of each, hp gain, install, ease of use? Appreciate it guys, just trying to figgure if FOR ME is it worth the 500 extra dollars? Thanks

#14 · (Edited)
I'll probably get shot down for saying this, but.....I don't really see any point in investing the additional funds in the hfs3 UNLESS you are going to have it setup by a pro with mapping to take full advantage of the additional control the pwm valves give. If you're looking to control intake temperatures then the AEM or Devil's Own systems will do the job. As long as its reliable and you don't over-jet the simpler the better. I did read an interesting article written by someone from Aquamist which kinda backs this up. I can't find the original thread but here's the text copied onto another forum
Aquamist's in-depth study of various water injection systems... - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
sorry didn't fully answer your questions, on a mildly tuned car (which most R53's are) you should be looking to keep the power you've got rather than loosing it through high IAT's, mapping for meth can be complex and needs a strategy to cope with potential system failures. Install wise the AEM is a piece of piss, the instructions are comprehensive and where you mount it is up to you. Ease of use....mine has been fit and forget, I arm the system when its playtime a then switch it off afterwards...simples

#15 ·
I'll probably get shot down for saying this, but.....I don't really see any point in investing the additional funds in the hfs3 UNLESS you are going to have it setup by a pro with mapping to take full advantage of the additional control the pwm valves give. If you're looking to control intake temperatures then the AEM or Devil's Own systems will do the job. As long as its reliable and you don't over-jet the simpler the better. I did read an interesting article written by someone from Aquamist which kinda backs this up. I can't find the original thread but here's the text copied onto another forum
Aquamist's in-depth study of various water injection systems... - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
sorry didn't fully answer your questions, on a mildly tuned car (which most R53's are) you should be looking to keep the power you've got rather than loosing it through high IAT's, mapping for meth can be complex and needs a strategy to cope with potential system failures. Install wise the AEM is a piece of piss, the instructions are comprehensive and where you mount it is up to you. Ease of use....mine has been fit and forget, I arm the system when its playtime a then switch it off afterwards...simples
Just been looking through old threads in relation to the meth injection. Just got myself an AEM meth kit, where have you found the effective place to mount the nozzle I’ve seen the passenger horn but wasn’t sure how high/low. Also pump and tank location? It does say the nozzle has to be higher than the tank to prevent any siphoning effect also. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
fwiw the pulley is what is causing you an issue more than a cam would be, the cam doesn't add intake heat, a pulley does, so adding a cam now isn't dangerous for the engine, you already have that concern.... it would make better use of the air though.

#25 ·
ok, unfortunately my catcam order got cancelled. I’ll probably go with RMW/Newman ph3/4.

Question about meth:I plan to run only one injector fitted after the intercooler. I’ve see people do it on the outside of the horn. I would prefer it to be hidden. Can I do it on the inside for a stealth/concealed look?

#26 ·
PH3/4 in a stock head? Too much cam for it imo.

#28 ·
you won't need 550's with the 1/2, the 2 will be great (Dominator) also in the stock head and still might not need them but depends on other things, they can be scaled anyway so no reason not to use them fwiw. There are three fast road cams for the stock or JCW head, mildly or modestly ported that will work well, the Catcam 1302469, the PH2, and my EW02, the Newman is the cheapest. Much depends on your expected use. I would fit a manifold which will complement any cam version. The 1/2 is a great cam working from lower down just not to the extent of the 2 up top, it's a mild cam, likewise the Catcam 1302461 which is also nice, or Schrick perhaps, Nitrostick NS1, someone may say different which is fine. If you were going for the Catcam 1302469 the PH1/2 will be some way off it's potential, so to get you closer use one of the others imo unless you don't need a 7k peak to chase?

#29 ·
I’ll be using the car on the track. I don’t feel the car is underpowered by all means. I just hope to get a littlw more push between 3-7k rpms. It would be nice to be able to hold gears longer at the track without needing to shift up or down because of the power band.

I don’t care much about lower rpm power as I don’t drive the car much around the town or in traffic. Only when getting groceries 2-3miles away and I have a commuter for work.

Is the dominator better for what I’m after? Do larger intercoolers really help? And would it be needed if i plan to fit a meth kit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.