MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Thinking of buying this and selling my Cooper S. I've JCW specc'd my Cooper S to the conkers, but just cant be bothered to find and fit all the aero, get it painted etc etc, so thought I would just buy a JCW with all the bits on and move some of my mods across from the Cooper S.

Problem is I never know how to check if the car advertised is a real JCW(Says just Cooper S on HPI). I appreciate the dealership would add the JCW pack as an option and this would be allocated the correct engine plaque and matching JCW certificate.

This car has all the right signs that this is a good factory set up, but I just need to know, how do I check the tuning kit number against the register and ensure this is correctly allocated to this car?

Is there a central register somewhere I can check this? Tuning kit no: 8975

Thx

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
No mention of the certificate.

Says he has numerous JCW & GP parts to hand.

Sounds like an amalgamation of parts to me, buy I'm a cynical bastard at the best of times.

£8k? Reheheheheheheally?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has pic of blue injectors, red spot on engine (not sure what that is). Has all badges, JCW air-box, JCW tuning engine plate, JCW intercooler cover, big brakes, aero...which is all addable easy enough, but no certificate, so was just going to check that it wasn't a case of replaced engine rocker cover (with plaque) screwed onto the old Cooper S engine. Blue injectors would suggest full JCW kit install. I just like to have the paperwork to back it up.

Is there nobody who can check the register somewhere against VIN ??

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No idea if this works but are they different tax brackets if factory built ?

if that fussed to change/upgrade from s to jcw I’d be looking for a factory car, not the dealer upgraded one
Not sure how you check if its a factory car? Would that be one that was registered as JCW on the V5?

I think this was a Cooper S, that a dealer had done as an option

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm reading it as Cooper S with the JCW kit added on later.

The only real way would be the certificate and/or enquiring with MINI.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm reading it as Cooper S with the JCW kit added on later.

The only real way would be the certificate and/or enquiring with MINI.
Yeah, a phone call to an actual dealer who can access the database. I will try Lloyds MINI up my way, see what they say.

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S with Milltek etc.
115 Posts
First car is v nice, but 8k is a crackers sum......I'd expect lower miles and for it to be absolutely A1 perfect for that money. Defo have to be a legit JCW as well.

Looks to me like the rear wipers probably on it's way out (has parked pretty squiffy)....makes you wonder what else might be lurking.

2nd one....cheaper but still strikes me as quite a bit of money...particularly for the age (is a pre facelift) and the colour/very personal cosmetic add ons etc. Still think its probably 1k too expensive really as a pre-fl but that's dealers for you. In its defense tho it does look very tidy (been well photographed at least).

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
That Red one looks low.... so check what coilovers are on it.

There's a cheap black one on AT too with JCW bodykit. Depending how sorted your current one is, might be cheaper/better to buy that & swap bumpers/sills over & flog back on....

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
The GP seems too cheap.
I dunno mate, still 10k for a nearly 100k mile 56 plate car. Is probably the right sort of money for it tho, given the relative exclusivity. Agree tho low mile ones fetch alot more now.....it'll be the miles doing for this one.....as whilst it's probably one of the cheapest on sale I dont doubt it's probably one of the most miley.

·
Registered
115 Posts
.......personally I'd just look for a decent facelift Cooper S....lightly modded they are as good if not better than a stock JCW in any case.

Let's face it alot of the aftermarket components you can buy for these are better (both performance and probably quality wise) than most of the regular JCW items.

If the right JCW came up at the right money sure it's worth it, but I probably wouldn't go out specifically looking for one or pay the premium over a decent facelift S....personal choice of course.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I cant go GP due to already have a 2 seater on the drive. So If I got another 2 seater and removed my ability to ferry children around in a four seat MINI, the wife may raise an eyebrow to my selfish ways. :ROFLMAO: She would be right of course.

It has to be four seats.

My Cooper S is pretty much nicer than the two JCW's Ive had in the past, but the Aero (Front and back), Side skirts, Blue Injectors, Ported head, ECU reflash, are all too expensive to add to my S. It would push money spent to stupid o'clock and I always look for the most cost effective route. I agree, £8k for that black one is a lot, but really its £7k as I don't need Recaro's or his carbon additions, so the car would be standard black leather, which would then be removed and the Sparco interior fitted.

Anyway this is all now scuppered on the black one above as he is Christchurch and I am Newcastle upon Tyne. Im not getting a train in this virus riddled climate , and the £455 that Shiply quoted to move it can bugger off. £455 for the pleasure of buying blind.....er no, I don't think so. I will wait...

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That Red one looks low.... so check what coilovers are on it.

There's a cheap black one on AT too with JCW bodykit. Depending how sorted your current one is, might be cheaper/better to buy that & swap bumpers/sills over & flog back on....
is that this one?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts