MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an R53 JCS - 2003, with uprated intercooler, Itg air filter, Denso irridium ik22 plugs, Kavs 17% reduced pulley and Bluefin stage 2 map.
I am looking at fitting some 380cc JCW injectors, currently has stock JCS 340cc injectors fitted, will these be ok without any other sort of map.

·
Premium Member
9,949 Posts
Will they work...absolutely! is it the right way to do things....nah. As with most things Mini related the approach you take will be limited by one of two things, budget or goals. It appears you're already part way down the rabbit hole. Where do you see the build ending up?

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
I see it with a cam ;O)

I'd lose the bluefin and denso's and go get it custom mapped but that's me,

How much was the Bluefin....curious?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see it with a cam ;O)

I see it with a cam ;O)

What is wrong with the Denso plugs ? They were recommended by Loren as the iridium tip gives a cleaner, larger spark, the plugs are also cooler running (one temp range cooler to go with the reduced pulley)
The bluefin was just an update pre pulls and injectors, cost a couple of hundred quid or so. Gives +44bhp with the 17% reduced pulley.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is wrong with the Denso plugs ? They were recommended by Lohen as the iridium tip gives a cleaner, larger spark, the plugs are also cooler running (one temp range cooler to go with the reduced pulley)
The bluefin was just an update pre pulls and injectors, cost a couple of hundred quid or so. Gives +44bhp with the 17% reduced pulley.

·
That's you, that is.
250 Posts
Out of interest, what’s everybody’s plug recommendation for a 15% pulley with a GRS?

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
In one of mine with a 15% and Catcam Street cam they're Bosch 'fours' FGR7DQP+, not a colder plug so much as a better plug (in my opinion compared to a single), really all I'd use different is the JCW plug BKR7EQUP, also 'fours'.

·
That's you, that is.
250 Posts
I used to run NGK BCR8ES as recommended by many (eg. 1320), but had some idle issues so swapped to BKR8EIX iridium ones. Slightly smoother now. Running on ethanol and -17% pulley. But as Astro said, plugs are more of a personal choice, as long as the heat range is not way off.
Yeah, BCR8ES are what 1320 put in when they did the pulley and that’s what I’ve been running since. Slight rough idle when hot, but that could be other issues...

·
Premium Member
9,949 Posts
Yeah, BCR8ES are what 1320 put in when they did the pulley and that’s what I’ve been running since. Slight rough idle when hot, but that could be other issues...
I only ever install bcr8's now if I'm tuning as you can 'read' them easier. Other than that I always recommend people to steer clear of them

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
I won't run EIX's/Iridium in my Mini now since I had worsening quite bizarre traction control warnings, hesitation, coughing and spitting at random under load or random misfires which would come and go that was traced to BKR7EIX's. They weren't very old at all, but to be fair were being subjected to track use more than before when I was recommending them myself, they're obviously not up to it in mine so I can't suggest 7's at least in similar cars. It was throwing random CAN/DME errors ASC warnings, and other sporadic codes so those're no longer for me, the 8's I went to might well have lasted longer I'm aware of that but it isn't my first issue either with NGK's or Iridium that are single earth electrode plugs, whether in cars or the bikes but you can't really escape NGK in bikes. Iridium still weren't so good in Aprilia or Honda engines I have/had. I've only used Bosch plugs (fours) in my classic for the last 20 odd years because it'd melt regular NGK singles but never Bosch fours, and now I think I'll stick to them in the R53's, the engines seem to like them even if used to extremes. Brisk are also fours maybe worth considering (DOR14LGS) for the 53. Iridium isn't for a cleaner better spark, it's just harder, more resistant to wear simply to help extend service intervals which shouldn't be a requirement in a modified car really, they should be getting more attention at least when at a significantly higher power. Copper or Silver are likely to give better cleaner sparks and don't last so long but I'll use them. Platinum are easily good enough for longer service life imo if anyone wanted it. I'll use NGK BKR6EQUP or BKR7EQUP because they're 'fours' and are good, other than that, FR78X, FGR7DQP+ and a Porsche plug FGR5KQEO which I now use in my 53's, proving to be a great plug in extremes on track and generally....so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have an R53 JCS - 2003, with uprated intercooler, Itg air filter, Denso irridium ik22 plugs, Kavs 17% reduced pulley and Bluefin stage 2 map.
I am looking at fitting some 380cc JCW injectors, currently has stock JCS 340cc injectors fitted, will these be ok without any other sort of map.
I have now installed the 380cc injectors, they work great but takes a few turn overs to start from cold, any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Over fuelling i would've thought. The car will be in open loop fueling when its cold so the ecu won't be able to compensate for the extra fuel.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
This should be renamed the spark plug thread. I think I'm going to give those brisk plugs a bash
Brisk are shocking, heard some poor reviews from the yanks, what you want is some full fat NGK race plugs, £40 a plug they ain't cheap but you know you're getting the performance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts