MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have split my old engine mount.
The oil section is a very small aspect of the oe build, the majority is rubber and about as much air as oil.
2 sealing rings would prevent pouring liquid rubber in through the top as it woudnt get to all areas.
Cut some bits out, cleaned it up, welded back together and given a lick of paint.
Ordered liquid polyurethane which will pour in through the sides.
Will post an update once further on. 20180107_143119.jpg 20180107_143441.jpg 20180107_161216.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On the second photo there is a middle ring.
The oil lives under here and travels below the lower ring via the channel you can see in the picture.
Above the middle ring it is just air.

·
Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Would it have been air if the mount hadn't leaked? I was planning on drilling through the metal and rubber into the voids, then injecting the liquid poly with a big syringe. I think this will still work as long as there's vent hole

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. Space above middle ring is air. Rubber is a different colour and no residue.
The failure comes from a round plate that sits in the bottom of the mount. Seems the sealant fails allowing oil inbetween.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
I would have thought it better to try it when you have doctored it, at least that way you know if it's going to be good before you have to rely on it being good if you see what I mean, it hardly takes long to swap, besides, we'll know too haha.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried the modified mount on tonight, too harsh. Nowhere near as bad as the Superpro additional bush. And not too far off what I want. Did feel good to drive mind. What be great on a track car. Popped the oil filled one back on, ordered another second hand mount and different shore PU. Version 2 to come.

·
Premium Member
9,926 Posts
nope. I'm planning on drilling into both cavities and filling them with a big syringe loaded with poly. I know i'll have to work quickly but its doable

edit, two holes per cavity, one for fill, one for vent

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PU is compressible depending on the shore.
Done right and with a bit of trial and error, itll outlive our cars and Il have road and track options.
Obviously I think my method is the right one :thumbup: but if Im wrong I will hold my hands up.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts