MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, the wife’s R53 had a new heater matrix fitted a week before we bought it, and all seems ok, but there is a slight drip from the top hose joint which weirdly got worse yesterday when I started to tighten the torx screw. It stopped when I loosened it slightly. I ran the car for some time to bleed the system as I suspected air in the system due to the noise the matrix makes from time to time (like a loud gurgle suddenly)

The set up is different to my R50, but I released the front top hose screw slightly, topped up the tank and whilst there was a ton of steam for a while, there wasn’t any water coming out. The drivers side of the radiator was hot, but the passenger side not.

But it wasn’t over heating and seemed ok so nipped the screw back up again.

The wife’s used the car this morning and said there was the noise again and still a slight leak:
So, is this just a case of bleeding the system again til waters out the bleed screw?
I don’t really want to take out the heater matrix and refit it, so is there any tips or sealants used for just finishing off the top joint so it’s drip free?
Cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the matrix is leaking today like a f-king nightmare!! Can’t post a video, but the lower area seems to be hosing out now
Proper noisy and now temp gauge is running up high too

·
Registered
730 Posts
That leak is also letting air in as well as letting out coolant.

Maybe the rubber seal wasn't properly seated when fitted. I understand they are tricky and a little silicone lube helps alot.

Fix that first and see where you are after a good coolant bleed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, the footwell is now soaked, so going to have try and dry that unfortunately.
I guess it’s a system drain out, refit the seals and refill and bleed.
Dont ya just love cars ! 😬

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frustrating that it wasn’t leaking so bad beyond the odd drip, but when I went to tighten it up Sunday, it started to leak more, so undid the screw slightly and it stopped. Now it’s like a river 🙄

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Managed almost an hour of effort before it got dark here today. Water in the Rad was rank, and the expansion bottle is knackered.
Thankfully Rad has no obvious leaks when running a hose through it to clean it out

Picking up a new expansion bottle tomorrow and trying to locate where I can get the heater matrix pipe rubber seals from!

Helmet Wood Glove Artifact Gas

Tire Automotive tire Plumbing fixture Wood Gas

Vehicle registration plate Car Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tire Tread Hood Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don’t suppose anyone knows if I need the Mini parts for the seals or if there are substitute parts for any seals?? Managed to find somewhere online for £18 for the seals and the O ring style clips to tighten up

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I’m heading there tomorrow. I’d hoped to be able to order online and collect, but no luck.
least I’ve sourced the expansion bottle so I’ll get that home and fitted to cure the main issue

·
Registered
730 Posts
My heater matrix is not exchanging heat very well, never has in the time I've owned the car. Takes too long to get warm but never fully hot. The inlet pipe is hot, so is the radiator and coolant level is fine so I think it's time for me to roll my sleeves up and get on with the job. I had a proper coolant change and system flush last year but that hasn't sorted it out. I should have done it during this summer, but who remembers when you don't use the heater (or the car much when home working)?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I’ve had an up and down morning with it. The pipes came apart fine, new seals in, but on looking at the matrix, the flanges on both were not looking good, which was a worry for a new matrix fitted 6 weeks ago.
Anyway, all fitted back together, front end back on after a radiator flush. Refilled the new expansion bottle, looked in the car, water pissing out the joints
Raging.
Replacement matrix picked up today and going in tomorrow and it’s clear the flanges of the matrix were trashed by who fitted the old one. Least I know now that the matrix, seals and clips will all be fine but just a frustrated mourning!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts