MiniTorque.com banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
OK, I am now officially confused!

I take it you have realised I know what I am talking about with y assessment of the fuel regulator?

Either way, it is going.

Moving on, in the same breath you seem to be disagreeing with what I have seen & then agreeing with me.

So which is it?

If you want to see a video of it, I will do it when I get the car back together in the next couple of days.

· Premium Member
2006 R53
10,750 Posts
Ok, boost wise, I can guarantee you aren't going to generate 22psi gauge pressure under any circumstances with a 17% pulley. 18psi absolute maximum under full load with a stock head, intercooler possibly. Fuel wise, as I said to you in my first post, if you have no smaller O ring then you effectively have no regulator as the fuel bypasses the diaphragm. What you'll end up with in this circumstance is pump pressure which maxes out at 4.5bar and a pressure reference line that does nothing. Pressure will drop rather than rise when you rev it as the filter bucket pressure drops. If you think your regulator is faulty then I have s known good one you can have gratis, but all you really need is an O ring, you haven't mentioned it but I think you're probs missing the micro filter as well

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok, boost wise, I can guarantee you aren't going to generate 22psi gauge pressure under any circumstances with a 17% pulley.

But all you really need is an O ring, you haven't mentioned it but I think you're probs missing the micro filter as well
On the boost point, I WILL double check & put a video on here when I have the car back together in the next few days.

On the regulator point I did replace the o-ring off one of the others I bought, one of which allegedly fitted but actually blocked the outlet and one of which I couldn't get in!

The pressure I observed earlier was with the original regulator & replacement o-ring & so is definitely stuffed as far as I can see.

I VERY much thank you for the VERY generous offer, and I may well take you up on that, I have one more avenue to explore as I get things back together either tomorrow or Monday & will let you know then.

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Out of interest how are you measuring your boost? The reason I ask is that in one apps like torque you need to add in the offset for atmospheric pressure. Not trying to be an arse, just saying
I have an Innovate OT 2 I think it is called which interfaces with an old IP4.

No correction required, it measures 0 when stopped, can't remember what vac at idle & as earlier 21.7 at 6k.

· Premium Member
2006 R53
10,750 Posts
The ot-2 displays actual sensor values and your tmap is an absolute sensor so something's not quite right. Might be worth chucking a cheap elm327 on there to double check it. Your stock sensor is maxed out at 2.5bar absolute and around 18psi you hit overboost and start throwing ecu codes and a stuck on traction control light

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I already have a half-decent code reader which will read live data so can use that to cross check the actual readings I get with that ref the OT2 readings to find out more.

Will let you know what I find out.

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Unfortunately, time got the better of me & having a look at the 3 (in total) regulators that I have, I don't think any would actually help me anyway.

Based on this I would LOVE to take you up on your very generous offer, just let me know what you want to cover the cost of it & postage & I will sort it out.

Up to you whether paypal/electronic transfer etc is bast.

Thanks again for your advice.

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
OK, update time after fitting AB's regulator & then weeks afterwards getting to modifying the fuel rail to fit a gauge I have had more thoughts on the root of my problem & am seeking the experience of you guys.

After fitting the gauge I find that it is showing a constant 4.5 bar fuel pressure whenever the engine is running under all circumstances & am thinking that the root of my problems could be the uprated fuel pump delivering too well and blowing the regulator diaphragm.

This leaves me with a couple of routes out of this:

1. Return everything to stock, that is fuel pump & regulator.

2. Fit an external adjustable fuel pressure regulator and convert the fuel system to a more normal supply & return type arrangement.

Based on the fact that the whole reason for me starting this part of my work was to make sure there is enough fuel at enough pressure even when on full boost & WOT there is no chance of fuel under supply causing issues, I am more tempted to carry on & see this through with an external regulator.

So, is there anyone out there who has done this already & can pass on any tips/hints that could help?

Alternatively, am I missing something/over compensating/over thinking things for a non-issue, which is also where help from you more knowledgeable chaps can help.

· Premium Member
2006 R53
10,750 Posts
Its impossible to get more than 4.5 bar out of the stock system. That's 3.5 bar base pressure plus 1 bar of referenced boost correction. If you want stable fuel pressure for more than 1 bar of boost you'll need to fit a return system. The problem you're experiencing is due to the 4.5 bar regulator at the bottom of the filter bucket in the tank. Your other option is to fit oversize injectors and map out the lack of pressure by adding duty cycle

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
AB, thanks for the additional insight once again. I was not aware of there being a regulator in the filter, that explains the 4.5 bar constant, I must have goosed the regulator you sent me somehow. I will have to decide whether it is going to be more what I want to either get another new one or go down the return route, and I guess that now I have the means of measuring the MAP pressure then that will be the deciding factor.

· Premium Member
2006 R53
10,750 Posts
With this regulator in place its impossible to get the stock fuel system to produce over 4.5bar (it's got the pressure rating laser etched on it). Any pressure above this is vented to the venturi pump that transfers fuel from the right hand line of the tank to the left. Basically the stock system cant provide fuel for more than 1bar of boost without modification

21 - 40 of 45 Posts