MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just thought I would say hello! I have followed Guvernator here as we're kinda on the same journey, although a few weeks ago I did everything my dad (who was a mechanic) and bought an car in the dark blind on the internet. Had a bit of a it'll never go for that moment on eBay and £1600 I was the owner of an Indi Blue R53 with 125k, which after inspection is quite tidy! Still pulls really strong quite taken a back by how quick it , no issues in the 300 miles I have driven it so far apart from hitting a fox and denting the air con rad and smashing the lower spoiler but we can't blame that on the car. But after a really good clean its come up great already.... see what its like when its a head a good polish and wax next!

It's been on the ramp and had a little bit of an inspection and to the surprise it doesn't seem a complete shed, got a bit of an oil leak from the cam cover but nothing major, plan is to a good deal of preventive maintenance anyway so I have the peace of mind that its done. So I have a £5k budget including the car to turn it around for a bit of track use and be a good B road blaster, I think I have already decided its a keeper so I dare say there will be some budget creep isn't there always! I want it to be a mix of being track ready and looking good because we're all a bit of a tart at the end of the day aren't we.

Think I have sourced a teflon coated Supercharger to overhaul and replace what's on there, I have bought an MTC Motorsport Intercooler but I am now reading mixed reports as to whether this will make any difference, same with a performance coil pack! Getting the idea I should read up on people's trails first before committing. Hopefully the 550cc Injectors aren't a waste though.

However before committing I have been reading up a lot on Pulleys and the obvious heat issues created by just going down the 17% route, I have found a JCW head that someone is selling locally for about £300 so been thinking about that and dropping to a 15% pulley, maybe even throw in a Cam if the budget allows! Anyway any more now and I am rambling, expect lots of questions after I have done some more reading!

Hope to a good part of the community, I love the bloody thing! Does need a proper suspension refresh though, but that was always in the plan!

·
Hobo Member
424 Posts
Hi and welcome. It's nice to see that lately there are many new people that are willing to take care of these cars and convert them into track and/or b road toys.

Loads of information on here and peopela re always willing to help. I suggest to grab your favorite beverage, read the topics and learnloads of stuff. A build topic would also be welcome, it works nicely as a diary cause with these things its impossible to remember everything one has done during the ownership :D

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Welcome! Be good to have another project on the go, there are some fantastic threads on here, you'll be reading for a while!

Performance coil pack is definitely a waste of money, so put the funds elsewhere.

If doing pulley and cam, best to factor in a remap too as you want to be sure it's fuelling correctly particulary if using it at the top end on track!

Decent suspension/bushes refresh and ARB will change the car drastically and make it more fun particular on track prior to doing engine mods imo.

Also looks into R56 cooper S brake upgrade for the front as a minimum, the R53 standard brakes don't fare too well on track (y).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome guys, I think a project thread might be a start, remap was planned? They are self learning ECU's aren't they? But I guess it'll never beat having it mapped properly.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys, I think a project thread might be a start, remap was planned? They are self learning ECU's aren't they? But I guess it'll never beat having it mapped properly.
no they are not,

did you get that info off fb?

you may have a bit to read up on, here not there😂

welcome!

Reactions: KeithyCoop

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome mate, you've done the right thing by joining this forum, loads of knowledge on here and a set of great guys too (y)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Welcome

Looks like it scrubs up well other than those headlight lenses which must make driving at night like driving in fog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Haha, wasn’t there just someone who suggested they were, I guess it’s one question answered!
The ECU certainly does not learn, on closed loop it has long and short term fuel trims, but that does not make them self learning. Wide open throttle (WOT) and over 4K rpm are open loop, so the fuel trims are not used, instead the mapping in the ECU is as is...so no fuel adjustment, so the engine will be very lean with a small pulley and cam (not great with either on their own). Knock control will pull back timing as a safety measure, but it’s not able to prevent combustion detonation and ultimately piston failure. Retarded timing is not good for engine performance either. Cooler plugs will help prevent engine heat, higher RON fuel is a must, not a luxury. A better intercooler will also reduce heat. However these things are medicines for the symptoms, not cause.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys, having a map is not an issue, and definitely not something I would scrimp to save pennies, its something I see as instrumental if needed. I think I might start moving some of these conversations to a build thread though, sounds like a good idea :)

Just a question on the Intercooler? These 62mm alloy ones that are floating around eBay, which as far as I can tell is the same at the MTC one I have got, do they make much of a difference, I mean it looks near on twice the size of the factory one if nothing else.

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
792 Posts
Amazing little cars, I absolutely loved my 06 R53 and swore Id never sell it, though CoVid and related redundancy kind of forced my hand....such is life!

Without a remap would suggest either a pulley (and probs only a 15) or a cam, not both. I ran a 15% with no map on mine with no issues, though I spent a packet on the car on preventitve maintenance was pretty healthy. Had I kept the car however id have definitely had it properly mapped with some bigger injectors had I kept it.

Camming it is probably a better option TBH.....the stock cam is the same as whats on the One and Cooper and does make power delivery a bit ordinary, changing this out for a fast road item I gather alters the character massively and brings about gains that are similar to a pulley'd car. A bit more money but arguably even more straightforward as its just a drop in affair (and being SOHC you only need one) without the worries of additional heat/pushing the chargee harder. Either way tho if its not fuelling properly you run the risk of running lean and killing it, forewarned is forearmed.

Intercoolers are a mixed bag, the stock IC can get overwhelmed quite quickly due to its size but being well designed it recovers from heatsoak quickly, I gather its often somewhat the other way around with aftermarket items. The best way forward is an OEM GP1 intercooler as its as per the stock design but bigger.....they are daft money now tho!

Car looks like a really nice little example tho, enjoy it 🤜🤛👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Yidwann, fancy seeing you here. :D

Still can't believe you got that car for £1600, absolute steal!

Just watch out for those furry critters! 😜

1 - 14 of 14 Posts