MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Previous owner of my car installed R56 rear diffuser and with it r56 exhaust... i would like to swap the exhaust for r53 Miltek but im worried that it might not fit since r56 has the muffler in the centre and r53 has then by the side... does anyone have any idea of the exhaust will till fit without removing the diffuser since i really like the look of it?

Thank you

·
Registered
320 Posts
Is it just the rear diffuser part or the full kit with the tunnels etc? I'm in the process of fitting the full kit with a 53 milltek exhaust. The diffuser tunnels need modded quite a bit along with the mounts etc.
It can be made to fit though. Someone else has done it on here before with the milltek

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it just the rear diffuser part or the full kit with the tunnels etc? I'm in the process of fitting the full kit with a 53 milltek exhaust. The diffuser tunnels need modded quite a bit along with the mounts etc.
It can be made to fit though. Someone else has done it on here before with the milltek

for now its just a rear diffusor, but i would like to install the tunnels. i would probably have to cut out the tunnels to fit the mufflers so lie you said it will take some cutting :) Thank you for the help

·
Bugger
25,313 Posts
Its been done on a few cars it just requires the boxes be raised up a bit. It will need some custom pipe work.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There was a post on the NAM forum using the Milltek and tunnels. I don’t think any changes were made to the exhaust or piping. The tunnels needed to be cut and diffuser brackets needed to be made/modified modified regardless of exhaust to fit on a 1st gen because the control arms hit the tunnels. Stick on heat shielding was added to the underbody and on top of the tunnels.

I’ve been wanting to do this mod for a while and I’ll probably open the fake grilles on the rear bumper to allow heat to escape from the mufflers when I do.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah, mine won't be having any mods to the pipework, it's all just going to be fitted around it. I have the tunnels in place temporarily and they fit, just, below the back boxes.
Just need to figure out how to mount the brackets at the front of them now

·
Bugger
25,313 Posts
No issues with heat from the back boxes when they're covered up like that?
Some gold tape on the boot floor / diffuser will be more than enough. You should see the lack of clearance on some of the race cars that run for hours far hotter than a mini ever gets.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was a post on the NAM forum using the Milltek and tunnels. I don’t think any changes were made to the exhaust or piping. The tunnels needed to be cut and diffuser brackets needed to be made/modified modified regardless of exhaust to fit on a 1st gen because the control arms hit the tunnels. Stick on heat shielding was added to the underbody and on top of the tunnels.

I’ve been wanting to do this mod for a while and I’ll probably open the fake grilles on the rear bumper to allow heat to escape from the mufflers when I do.
i would think the same, i dont think additional pipework would be needed, just cutting the tunnel and heat tape it should do the job. im not an expert, thats just my thought

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, mine won't be having any mods to the pipework, it's all just going to be fitted around it. I have the tunnels in place temporarily and they fit, just, below the back boxes.
Just need to figure out how to mount the brackets at the front of them now

if i understand correctly your mufflers are covered with the tunnels?
i would assume that the boxes are touching the tunnels or not?

·
Registered
320 Posts
if i understand correctly your mufflers are covered with the tunnels?
i would assume that the boxes are touching the tunnels or not?
The mufflers/back-boxes sit above the tunnels. They sit very close at one point so I have fitted heat shielding and also a metal plate where the mufflers closest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The mufflers/back-boxes sit above the tunnels. They sit very close at one point so I have fitted heat shielding and also a metal plate where the mufflers closest.

did you had to manufacture special mounts for tunnels/boxes?
and the tunnels dont interfere with real lower camber arms?

·
Registered
320 Posts
did you had to manufacture special mounts for tunnels/boxes?
and the tunnels dont interfere with real lower camber arms?
It's the next job on the list to sort the mounts out. I have them fitted temporarily and now just need to figure out how the brackets will fit.
The tunnels needed to be modified around the lower control Arms on the flat part of them. They need to be cut a bit to clear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's the next job on the list to sort the mounts out. I have them fitted temporarily and now just need to figure out how the brackets will fit.
The tunnels needed to be modified around the lower control Arms on the flat part of them. They need to be cut a bit to clear.

great! do you have any pictures of the tunnels mounted? if so would you be so kind and send them to me?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts