MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hurrah...
I picked the Mini up from the exhaust fabricators this morning and I reckon he's eliminated a least 50% of the drone, and drastically reduced the volume of the exhaust. It's still a loud pipe and still has all of the burbles and pops but now I don't die inside with humiliation or feel my hippocampus imploding because of the pressure waves inside the cabin.
I can actually hear the supercharger..yes, it was loud I couldn't hear the super charger, or the engine. What i can also hear is a bit of steering grumbling ;( might be the track rod ends or ball joints..It only happens at slow speed on full lock..Almost sounds like rubbing.
I desperately need new front brake pads...i've got a full house of warning lights.
The front discs are a bit lippy, i'd say a couple of mm...Is this acceptable?
I wouldn't mind getting an R56 conversion but could really do with this being a few months further down the line, but if I have to shell out for new discs and pads now it seems like dead money, unless I just replace with R53 stuff and leave it at that.
Anyway, car is in on Monday for bodywork, and my other car is in for MOT so it's spend, spend, spend atm...
Still, it's great to have the exhaust sorted...

Pro Tip: Never buy a Power Flow cat back, they are crap.

·
Registered
283 Posts
R56 front brake conversion is worth the money. I bought my calipers, carriers and lines as a kit new from Mod A Mini. I sourced my own discs and pads. Standard road spec Ferodo from Auto Doc.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive seen loads of calipers and lines online, the difficulty is obtaining carriers unless you buy new.
I'm going to put the pads in and be changing the oil and filter, banging some new (and cooler) plugs in etc when i get the car back this week hopefully. I think I'll put new discs on too and gather the bits for the r56 conversion over winter. I need to learn if the car is a keeper before I get stuck in. Subject to my work situation i wouldnt mind doing the reduced pulley, intercooler thing.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ive seen loads of calipers and lines online, the difficulty is obtaining carriers unless you buy new.
I'm going to put the pads in and be changing the oil and filter, banging some new (and cooler) plugs in etc when i get the car back this week hopefully. I think I'll put new discs on too and gather the bits for the r56 conversion over winter. I need to learn if the car is a keeper before I get stuck in. Subject to my work situation i wouldnt mind doing the reduced pulley, intercooler thing.
Sounds sensible, definitely good to learn how the characteristics of the car in standard guise and it’s niggles before getting stuck into mods that could exacerbate any smaller issues or prevent you dishing out on mods then realising something repair wise is on the cards.

Gave mine a few months to become accustomed to it and done repairs and maintenance and now I’m onto updated brakes then will be suspension before going for more power later in the year/start of next.

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
505 Posts
Glad the exhaust drone is sorted mate!

Defo if you get to the point where your front discs and pads are shot R56S conversion IMHO is the way to go. As mentioned Jonny and Mim @ Mod A Mini do a brand new TRW set (calipers, carriers and braided hoses) for just over 200 quid which is bloody cheap given the quality of the parts (they are OEM) and the improved braking they offer.

My understanding is they are still single piston but the piston is bigger Vs the stock R50/53 calipers and accommodates a 296mm disc Vs the stock 276. You just then buy your own disc/pad combo to suit.

I'm having to reign in my spending due to the current situation but is what I plan to do as soon as I need front brakes and assuming I still have the car then.

You can go budweg 4 pot which are fixed rather than floating calipers which are a direct fit (no carriers of course) and take 316mm discs (I believe)....basically an exact replica of the R56 JCW brakes but due to their size wheel clearance can be an issue calling for spacers or different alloys to accommodate. No such issues with the R56S set up.....also more than half the price all said and done (y) (y)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think that's the point as well....probably half the cost but not half the upgrade Vs something like the budwegs. Mini is a pretty light car so doesn't really need stupidly big pot brakes particularly for fast road use IMHO but the stock brakes were rather underspec'd.....BMW should have fitted bigger brakes to the S over the regular One/Cooper from the offset and God knows why they didnt .....well they cheaped out didn't they but got it right for the R56.....sadly they got it all wrong in the engine dept that time around :ROFLMAO:(y)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've just bought a set of pads which I was going to fit over the weekend, and was actually debating about getting a new pair of discs too, but now Im thinking maybe I should just wait and get an R56 setup.
I'll probably keep the stock brakes for the time being and do the upgrade over winter when the car is off the road and Ive got more time. I can sell my as-new discs and pads for about a 1/10th of what I paid for them...That's usually what I seem to end up doing anyway.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know which HEL or Goodrich lines I'd need?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Do you know which HEL or Goodrich lines I'd need?
If you get the Mod A Mini kit they supply HEL ones in whatever colour you want. Probably can have Goodrich if you ask specifically for them.

Not sure exactly of the part reference tho.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Be these I think mate.....BMWM-4-035

You have to get R56 ones as the connection is different on the R56 calipers to the R50/R53's I gather

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ive found all the parts I need. Local breaker has a pair of calipers for £35 each. The S carriers are on ThiefBay for about £40 a side.
Discs and pads are whatever you want to pay.
I'll do this job in Autum I think. I'd like to do it now but with the exception of bringing the car home and one single short drive, every other journey I've ever done has either been to take to places for quotes or for leaving it at the body shop.

I can do the pads (and discs if I really have to) and get out and drive the fekking thing. The brake situation is desperate because all the lights are on the dash and it appears to have zero pad material left and less than zero stopping power. If i start on the brake upgrade it will drag on..waiting for parts, wrong parts sent, having to paint the calipers, wait for the lacquer to harden, breaking something and having to wait for a replacement etc etc. By the time the brakes are done, I'll still have driven nowhere and summer will be over.
I'm going to try and have fun with the motor and then gather the other parts as I go, and enjoy refurbing the calipers and fitting them without any pressure.
As it stands, when I get the motor back in the next day or two, I'll be ragging the headlights off so that I can paint the trim rings, washer covers and refurb the lenses. I'll sanding, lacquering and polishing.
I would like to ditch the black headlights (or maybe paint the red projector part BRG or black...the red looks awesome on some cars I've seen, but just doesn't work on BRG with a white roof and mirrors imho).
Anyway, thanks for the feedback gents.
I'll uploads some pics when the car comes back and when I refit the door cards and interior trim.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
bear in mind the early 53 rear is a banjo

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've read on here and another forum that the HEL lines can come away from the retaining grommets and rub through?

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,550 Posts
I've read on here and another forum that the HEL lines can come away from the retaining grommets and rub through?
I've actually had this happen. The preventative fix is really simple. You just put a cable tie though the grommet and tie it to the mount on the strut

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts