MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I really want to replace this radio with a DAB radio, is there a best in breed and a fitting guide to make this easy for a 2006 R53 Cooper S.

Anybody done this, keen to learn the pitfalls and best way to do it.

Thx

Scott

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
237 Posts
I’ve gone 2 different ways with my cars, I’ve cut the dash on the R53 and fitted a flush mount double din but that will wreck your dash if you decide to take it out, that one is a Sony

the R52 I have again fitted a double din but it is a floating screen so I can have DAB and apple play, nav, Spotify etc, that is a pioneer evo62 which I recommend, far superior sound to the Sony and a lot more tuneable

prior to those I had single din dab units in both cars, now I’m a big alpine fan but I found the various pioneer units I had to be better sound wise

one thing to be sure of is get a decent aerial, ive got basic amazon stick to the windscreen types in both my cars and I get good reception all the time, I’ve fitted a different type of, almost bunny ears aerial to my wife’s car which has an alpine in and the DAB reception is abysmal, I’ve got to swap it out for a stick on type when I can be bothered to take the head unit out!

you can get splitters that enable you to use your existing Aerial as the dab antenna but as I discovered with my wife’s VW not all will actually work and they need to have a single supply

1 - 2 of 2 Posts