MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I created a checklist for replacing a clutch in a Mini Cooper R53 (The Gen I Cooper S). This procedure involves removing the subframe and then the transmission. I used this for my own installation, although I was wound up removing the engine and transmission together. If you have any suggestions for modification, please let me know.

I printed this out, taped it to my garage wall, and checked it off as I progressed through the procedure.

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,528 Posts
I never touch the subframes, just pull the whole thing out, not worth pratting about racing a clock for the sake of a couple more wires and a few bolts, saves all the hassle of wrestling a box overhead and gives all the access required to resolve other motor issues if required,

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
e
I never touch the subframes, just pull the whole thing out, not worth pratting about racing a clock for the sake of a couple more wires and a few bolts, saves all the hassle of wrestling a box overhead and gives all the access required to resolve other motor issues if required,
Right now I have the subframe, engine and transmission out. Do you think I should re-install the subframe first? It would make the steering linkage very easy to attach!

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,528 Posts
yes, I would. ;O) Also makes it easy to refit the column lower surround gaiter should it come off engine side, and saves hassle with PAS res.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts