MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, recently got a catch can for my R53 and installed it,

I installed it from the PCV breather on the right side of the engine (when looking at it from the front of the car). The one that comes from the rocker cover straight to the intake pipe.

After about 3 weeks, there is not the slightest drop of anything in there so that makes me believe that all of the oil blow by is coming through the left hand side pcv (the one that goes onto the supercharger)

I have seen some people blank off the grey tube to the supercharger in other catch can instructions but im concerned incase this could cause damage to the charger.

Anybody got any tips? Is it okay to blank that grey tube from the charger off?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
the can is usually on the PCV side, so from PCV to can mounted on earth strap bottom point for example (GTT), and can to grey pipe etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the can is usually on the PCV side, so from PCV to can mounted on earth strap bottom point for example (GTT), and can to grey pipe etc.
I see, instructions for mine were quite frankly all over the place and a cross between 1st and 2nd gen. Ordered from Mod-A-Mini, got fed up and just installed it as closely to the instructions as i could understand, will sort it out though, thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Some OCC install instructions are completely bonkers, defeating the function of the PCV system. Do not blank off any tubes or hoses, and don't run both right and left side hoses in to one can.

Like you have noticed, not much oil is moving through the PCV line on the right side. If you want to catch some oil on an R53 you need to install the can on the PCV line going to the supercharger. This is how I have set up mine. Had no room for the can next to the engine earth strap as I have the cabrio braces.

The need for an OCC is debatable on an R53. Most of the oil ends up in the intercooler, so periodically cleaning it is one option. On mine the injectors seemed to gather gunk, possibly due to E85 fuel and/or excessive blow by, so I opted to have the can. Seems to have helped.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some OCC install instructions are completely bonkers, defeating the function of the PCV system. Do not blank off any tubes or hoses, and don't run both right and left side hoses in to one can.

Like you have noticed, not much oil is moving through the PCV line on the right side. If you want to catch some oil on an R53 you need to install the can on the PCV line going to the supercharger. This is how I have set up mine. Had no room for the can next to the engine earth strap as I have the cabrio braces.

The need for an OCC is debatable on an R53. Most of the oil ends up in the intercooler, so periodically cleaning it is one option. On mine the injectors seemed to gather gunk, possibly due to E85 fuel and/or excessive blow by, so I opted to have the can. Seems to have helped.
Thats great, thank you very much for the info! I'll be sure to get that swapped over to the other one. And yes like you say, the instructions were absolutely absurd

Cheers!😃

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
the cans don't seem to be a solution on either the 53 or 56 from what I've seen, less but not none which would be the goal, ideally they all need venting into the exhaust just post cat, blank off the charger and boot inlets, the same oil still gets used just not ingested and no affect on fuel quality, less knock, less fouling, better oil quality, better performance, better IAT, reliability/longevity, fewer leaks perhaps, less odour than atmospheric venting. It's the way I see it anyway, HC's slightly up come emissions testing perhaps, but just post lambda would be marginal due to residual cat heat imo. Maybe a few more flames on track😂

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all, recently got a catch can for my R53 and installed it,

I installed it from the PCV breather on the right side of the engine (when looking at it from the front of the car). The one that comes from the rocker cover straight to the intake pipe.

After about 3 weeks, there is not the slightest drop of anything in there so that makes me believe that all of the oil blow by is coming through the left hand side pcv (the one that goes onto the supercharger)

I have seen some people blank off the grey tube to the supercharger in other catch can instructions but im concerned incase this could cause damage to the charger.

Anybody got any tips? Is it okay to blank that grey tube from the charger off?

Thanks in advance
I have an M7 can and used their instructions to install it. Just emptied it for the first time a couple weeks ago. Was surprised to see it full TBH.

·
Registered
2005 R53
130 Posts
I've been considering one of these for mine as it's getting a lot of WOT abuse and I'm sure the rings aren't in the best state so there's a reasonable amount of oil in the intercooler that leaks out of the boot on the drivers side (boot change imminent too).

I certainly wouldn't wire one in like that though - one per side, surely? One for off/part throttle from the PCV side when the intake is at part vacuum and one for WOT scenarios on the line back to the intake? Or is that incorrect?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts