MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 664 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
R53 Cam & Injector & Tune Combos

I've noticed there's a lot "Don't do this, you have to do it this way" etc on here. But there's not a lot of supporting evidence.

So, don't confuse this with an advice thread, keep your opinions to yourself.

I want to know what people have slapped onto their cars, I want to know about the combinations you've tried in regards to cams and injectors & tune (standard or otherwise) and what the outcome was, whether that be an exploding engine or you were explicitly told not to do xyz because someone heard it once but you've done it anyway & made more power & more reliability.

For example I have a standard 2003 R53, 15%, janspeed manifold, the famous "Astrobox", with standard cam & injectors. I had it dyno'd at Lohen and I got 212HP, 238 N.m. I self flashed the ECU using a cheapo eBay cable with the JCW 200 map - Its been on for a couple of months and it certainly feels like it pulls better since I did it, I haven't had it dynod since but it seems to give smoother power delivery all through the revs.

My hidden agenda here is that I have a catcams 469 sitting in the shed, and only enough money for injectors right now. I'm hoping someone has done some combo and ran their car fine using something like a 469, with 440cc injectors and a JCW 210 map and I can run mine like that for a while until I can afford some extra bolt ons and my final tune, I'd like to use RMW on Lohens dyno, if not it'll have to be RS Tuning in Leeds who've quoted me 450 and a proper remap. 1320 is miles away and I can't be arsed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
15% pulley, ram air hot air intake lol (soon to be changed), janspeed manifold w/decat, Newman ph1/2, focus st 380cc injectors. Made 235bhp at P torque after the map and slightly more at 237 at a independent rolling road. Hobo air box has been constructed just need to pull my finger out and buy the filter for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
currently-
17% airteck
milteck none res cat back
oranje stealth airbox made 182 whp on 1320 dyno

booked in for cam and injector soon whilst fitting a 0% crank pulley

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I've noticed there's a lot "Don't do this, you have to do it this way" etc on here. But there's not a lot of supporting evidence.

So, don't confuse this with an advice thread, keep your opinions to yourself.

I want to know what people have slapped onto their cars, I want to know about the combinations you've tried in regards to cams and injectors & tune (standard or otherwise) and what the outcome was, whether that be an exploding engine or you were explicitly told not to do xyz because someone heard it once but you've done it anyway & made more power & more reliability.

For example I have a standard 2003 R53, 15%, janspeed manifold, the famous "Astrobox", with standard cam & injectors. I had it dyno'd at Lohen and I got 212HP, 238 N.m. I self flashed the ECU using a cheapo eBay cable with the JCW 200 map - Its been on for a couple of months and it certainly feels like it pulls better since I did it, I haven't had it dynod since but it seems to give smoother power delivery all through the revs.

My hidden agenda here is that I have a catcams 469 sitting in the shed, and only enough money for injectors right now. I'm hoping someone has done some combo and ran their car fine using something like a 469, with 440cc injectors and a JCW 210 map and I can run mine like that for a while until I can afford some extra bolt ons and my final tune, I'd like to use RMW on Lohens dyno, if not it'll have to be RS Tuning in Leeds who've quoted me 450 and a proper remap. 1320 is miles away and I can't be arsed.
I'm really interested in how you flashed the JCW map, what cable did you use (link maybe), where did you set the map and how did you actually do it (do you have a walk through).
Cheers

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really interested in how you flashed the JCW map, what cable did you use (link maybe), where did you set the map and how did you actually do it (do you have a walk through).
Cheers
I bought this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272630771412

It comes with some software called MPPS.

I watched this video to learn how to use it: https://youtu.be/GtjPtYYFF9k

I got the map file from some forum but I can't find it now typically!

The 200 map differs from the 210 in that the 210 expects upgraded injectors whereas the 200 expects standard S injectors.

Make sure you backup the current ECU before you go dicking around.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I bought the cable and software combo off eBay ages ago, but then went with the tornado 2 ecu but now I'm back to stock ecu and extra programmable injectors

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
What's better the tornado or programmable injectors?
Tornado 2 ( r53 plug and play) all day long without a shadow of doubt there is no comparison at all

The only difference the xic programmeable injector controller is easier to setup and I know the company who sells it are so helpful, probably the best custom services I have ever experienced

( Canadian company called sdsefi.com, I used one of there standalone ecus on my classic mini with Vauxhall red top turbo many years ago)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 664 Posts