MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
That is where the oil filter housing goes. Engine & gearbox in then subframe.

I would put these on too ?....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Im thinking BC RM coilovers might get added to the list along with a Coolerworx gear lever, track/hillclimb/road car

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
I'd fit camber top mounts not camber joints, otherwise you'd need caster bushes to correct it and never be able to increase caster further should you wish,

then I'd take the gearbox back off and send it to me for a final drive conversion, or have one fitted to a BKD box if yours isn't one ;O)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok cool standard bushes it is,
Id love to send the gearbox off to many places for many things, but its rebuilt, quaife in and boxed up, filled with fluid now. pretty sure it was a BKE

(y)

·
Bugger
25,314 Posts
Im thinking BC RM coilovers might get added to the list along with a Coolerworx gear lever, track/hillclimb/road car
They would be pretty decent for that, I used to have when I was planning on my car being used for sprints and hillclimbs. They are a bit hard for the road if your car is going to be mostly road I would look at other options.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Its as good as done.
Any advice on running in a new motor?
i was going to take it to 1320 and have it done on the rollers but thats been C19d
Im thinking up and down the rev range...make it work abit, but below 4k for the first 200miles, no steady running or idleing, then run it hard

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
I'd just keep the rpm varied between 2-4 with some medium but varied load during the first hour which would help rings, then do similar avoiding full throttle but letting the engine rev freely and by another 50-100rpm/50-100 miles or something until you're at the top. It'll need some load to seat rings but they might take some time, but also lighter load engine spinning at varied rpm for reasonable distance, there's no rush, I wouldn't use full throttle too soon or max rpm.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Had a go at a list of whats been done...sure theres plenty more

Strip short motor and report

Bores checked and honed

New crankshaft balanced

Works Head striped and inspected

Head bolt conversion

Timing chain kit

New rockers shafts

Full set of rockers

Newman Cam

Alloy radiator reservoir

Alloy radiator

New alternator

CD multichanger converted to USB

New AC pump

New AC condenser

Silicon hoses

Piper air filter in works box

Rear wiper delete

Bosche 550cc injectors

BC RM Coilovers

New wheel bearings

New ball joints

12mm wheel spacers

Collerworkx Pro short shifter

New gear cables

Vibra technics race engine mount

Powerflex gear box mount

Powerflex lower engine mount

All new pulleys

Rebuilt 6sd gearbox

Quaife LSD

GTT aluminium flywheel

17% Pulley

Airtek Intercooler

Cooler Plugs

1320 Base Map

BMW release bearing

Organic clutch plate

Orranje PTFE Supercharger gasket

Serviced Teflon super charger

Works exhaust centre silencer delete

Reconditioned 16 valves, recut and lapped

Surface head -0.006”

Set piston ring gaps

Machine exhaust manifold to match head

Wossner Pistons

PEC Steel Rods

Race big end bearings

Race Main bearings

Oil Pump

Chain tensioner

CV Boots

Balance rotating assembly

Front subframe removed cleaned and black poly bushed

Nitrac front discs

PBS Pads

Anthracite interior

Matte black head light rings

Smoked led rear lights

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well that didnt go to plan...
Everything looked ok, oil pressure was fine, temp in and out of the radiator was fine, so I went for a drive...all looked great untill I parked up at the shops...a casual glance over the shoulder as I went into the shop...big puddle of coolant on the deck...fuk sake
Started it up a bit later...nice bit of white smoke and the sweet smell of anti freeze

The radiator was stone cold, I think the cooling system got air locked, who knows.

Hopefully just a head gasket and not the block or head...back to the spanners...

Water pump was the only thing I didnt do

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Cheers, Im not planning on doing it straight away, Ill see what the damage is first, if the front has to come off the car then Ill give you a shout

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ive done a leak down test and all cylinders look fine
Did a pressure test on the cooling system to 15psi ish with no bubbles in the coolant and the pressue held
All the plugs looked the same
No gunk in the oil
Got one of those block tester kits that check the coolant for hydrocarbons on its way, maybe that will show something
With no indication other than an amount of white smoke and a sort of sweet smell from the exhaust, Im reluctant to start taking the head off.

All these tests were done with the car cold

The fuel in the car wasnt straight from the pump but from jerry cans...maybe that is an issue..

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

21 - 40 of 48 Posts