MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cars had an intesting life I suspect. I bought it off Autotrader unseen which is never a great idea, but the shell is great interior is great everything works....fully documented as a works S both on the V5 and the cert
But..
It didnt feel as nippy as I expected.
The engine was quite worn even at a claimed 82k

So I took the engine out...very carefully...needs must when your on your own in the sticks
:oops:

Stripped it down

Then sent it off to AGRA Engineering in Dundee to get checked out.

The news was so so...the block was fine, the pistons were ok just needed new rings, and the rods were fine, oil pump etc were getting done anyway.

Not so good was the crank, it was beyond repair...now as im keeping the standard SC I could have just got some rings and and crank and off we go but that seemed the boring option....so

It got Wossner pistons and forged rods to go with the new crank, I'll post the full engine build when I get the dredded itemised bill in which is around 4.5k but that includes the works head totally rebuilt, new cam fitted (which I supplied, went with a Newmans kind of wish I went CAT but hey ho) and a super duper stainless manifold sorted out which I'm told was a really nice race spec item by the engine builder.

The engine is ready to pick up but im just waiting for the garage to get built around the car

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gear box didnt look to happy either

So I picked up another lower milage one and a Quaife, a new organic clutch as recomended by cars or bikes
(y)...still to get a fly wheel and I think thats about all the stuff bought, theres an airtek intercooler sitting, 17% pulley, new brakes and a load of other stuff as well to go on when I get a roof and time

·
Registered
149 Posts
Why do us blokes do this sort of thing?

Buy a car and then spend many times more doing it up than we bought it for .

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
I can use the selector shaft and 5th fork if No.285.9.0320.90 and cheaper than cheap things, also the four caps/tubes/detents seen from the outside of the box are useful, in fact the other forks might be haha

I have spares but might need spare spares ;O)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a GTT flywheel to go on it, and the gearbox rebuilt with the Quaife added, so getting there

Couple of things I'm not sure about...

I'm going to run the standard SC with a 17% pulley, and the fast road newmans cam and what I think are works injectors ( Light blue numbers?) and see how it goes, I might get a bigger SC one day but thats not happening anytime soon.

Im miles away from a mini tuner like 20Hr round trip miles, is there a way I can check the my ECU is actually a works ECU?

I had a brand new Subaru motor knackered with bore glazing caused by over fueling so Im a bit cautious, I don't want to kill another forged motor:rolleyes: one of those T shirts is enough
I think my options are

1)Run the map it has, on the old injectors, so 17 pulley, Cam, Airtek intercooler, Exhaust manifold and de cat
2)Drive 15 Hrs to 1320 fit the bigger injectors I have and map it safely but maybe have to do it again if I did change the SC one day
3)Fit a linc ECU which I can get tuned up here

Im leaning towards 2

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
I'd forget the works ECU if you're running a 17% pulley, fuelling and timing will just be wrong, ignore some of the advice claiming these are rich and can take it etc. I have one here with just an intake and a 15% and it's pinking like mad, you might not hear it but it will be no good for longevity and you risk damage. Get it custom mapped or run just the cam with no pulley change, or change to an 11 if you're going to run the cam and just the JCW 210 map with 380's. Link is another thing altogether, personally if that's an option for you it's worth doing but then the run to 1320 also is, where you can get the Full Access kit and the Miniport which can have tables changed anywhere or off your laptop, plus if you run an Innovate wideband kit it can log AFR so can have all the info you'll ever need, it can be removed if selling on or additional licenses bought for an additional car I think.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a chat with 1320 and its a no brainer, its getting packed off to them.
They gave me an estimate to run the motor in on the rolling road and then map it, super reasonable, as long as it has no issues of course.
Just got to put the thing back together now.
:unsure: why do I have all these bolts left

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the engine build bill in which was a lot, tis all forged and built to take as much power as I can throw at it but...I added up what the "cheap fun" run about has cost me so far, and it makes me think.....hmmm maybes not the best use of funds there Martin

By the time I add the car in we are north of 11k o_Oo_Oo_O and its not finished yet still got wheels and suspension and seats to go yet.

Now I havent driven a 220/250 BHP R53 so please tell me its going to be worth it.

Could have bought a GP, but then Id have felt bad sticking 16" wheels on it, which is what I plan to do.

First world problems I suppose...you cant beat them.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
There are many on here better than mine as mine is pretty much on a budget, but I can testify the 233 in an r53 with 1/2 decent suspension is an absolute hoot! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts