MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Cooper s R53
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I’m upgrading my r53 Cooper s brakes to the larger discs and r53 JCW callipers. Can anyone tell me if a different disc back plate is needed ?
Ive checked on line for part numbers and both cars appear to have the same back plate even though disc diameter is larger on the JCW
any help gratefully received

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
the 56 plates won't fit the 53 so stick with what you have or fab some up, or modify the 56 ones etc, you can remove them but the ABS sensor wires can melt with brake heat certainly on track....

·
Registered
Mini Cooper s R53
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 56 plates won't fit the 53 so stick with what you have or fab some up, or modify the 56 ones etc, you can remove them but the ABS sensor wires can melt with brake heat certainly on track....
Many thanks for that, it’s as I suspected but good to hear it from someone who knows 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
I may be misunderstanding what carsandbikes means but I have r56 GP2 330mm disk on my r53. Its a straight fit, you just need a different caliper. I used Renault megane RS calipers which you can get cheap from renualt! Literally best upgrade I've done for far, cant recommend them highly enough! If i were you, I'd sell my jcw callpers and buy the megane rs callipers for much less.

If the abs sensor melts....replace it...that's what these cars are about!! think they are 15£ each...

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
I may be misunderstanding what carsandbikes means but I have r56 GP2 330mm disk on my r53. Its a straight fit, you just need a different caliper. I used Renault megane RS calipers which you can get cheap from renualt! Literally best upgrade I've done for far, cant recommend them highly enough! If i were you, I'd sell my jcw callpers and buy the megane rs callipers for much less.

If the abs sensor melts....replace it...that's what these cars are about!! think they are 15£ each...
Some years ago I had a Megan RS. I dont know what diameter the discs were but the callipers are probably the same as yours and my god did that car stop!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Megane RS brakes and callipers are a well known and used upgrade for the Mk2 Focus ST/RS. They are a heavier and more powerful car than the Mini is.

That said, I have found the R56 Cooper S brakes perfectly good enough for the R53. Vast improvement on the original R53 brakes.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper s R53
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That’s an interesting upgrade, think I’ll bare that in mind if these are not as good as I would like. I assume the Megan callipers are twin pot ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
That’s an interesting upgrade, think I’ll bare that in mind if these are not as good as I would like. I assume the Megan callipers are twin pot ?
You wouldn't regret it and I think the JCW callipers go for so much now that the Megane RS set up is cheaper...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Megane RS brakes and callipers are a well known and used upgrade for the Mk2 Focus ST/RS. They are a heavier and more powerful car than the Mini is.

That said, I have found the R56 Cooper S brakes perfectly good enough for the R53. Vast improvement on the original R53 brakes.
Yes, I am sure the r56 brakes are fine. My pint was I reckon the RS brake kit would be a cheaper option than JCW set up with more stopping power too. win-win baby!!

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
I'm just referring to 56 backplates not fitting the 53,

leaving stuff to melt and just renewing when it does as cheaply as possible isn't really what 'these cars' are about at least in my view, that's just about owner types and personal choices for their own reasons,

the Renault kit is quite popular and of course will be a better braking 'performance' option than anything in the sliding caliper options for these, or even JCW 4 pots although I think they push the wheels out further?

swept area is still greater on the 6 pot GP2 size options with a very significant 3cm pad height over and above that of the Renault kit on the same disc, price is a factor though, albeit worth it if one wants the braking performance,

the op is only talking about the R53 JCW kit not the R56S JCW 4 pot kit anyway, so 294mm with single piston sliding calipers and not actually as good as stock R56S ones imo, my view being that they utilise a banjo fitting which unlike on the Renault caliper in comparison, is unprotected, the Renault Brembo banjo is held between two bosses for example, the 53 JCW caliper is exposed to being knocked and one would find very easily moved as they're not particularly tight. An unlikely scenario but one worth considering on cars used harder than some maybe? ;O) The 56S ones are screw in.

I don't know that the Renault kit is any cheaper than the smaller JCW 4's, Budweg versions aren't hideously priced and aftermarket discs won't be too bad, both options need hoses, and pads may be less?

·
Registered
5 Posts

leaving stuff to melt and just renewing when it does as cheaply as possible isn't really what 'these cars' are about at least in my view, that's just about owner types and personal choices for their own reasons,

the Renault kit is quite popular and of course will be a better braking 'performance' option than anything in the sliding caliper options for these, or even JCW 4 pots although I think they push the wheels out further?

swept area is still greater on the 6 pot GP2 size options with a very significant 3cm pad height over and above that of the Renault kit on the same disc, price is a factor though, albeit worth it if one wants the braking performance,

the op is only talking about the R53 JCW kit not the R56S JCW 4 pot kit anyway, so 294mm with single piston sliding calipers and not actually as good as stock R56S ones imo, my view being that they utilise a banjo fitting which unlike on the Renault caliper in comparison, is unprotected, the Renault Brembo banjo is held between two bosses for example, the 53 JCW caliper is exposed to being knocked and one would find very easily moved as they're not particularly tight. An unlikely scenario but one worth considering on cars used harder than some maybe? ;O) The 56S ones are screw in.

I don't know that the Renault kit is any cheaper than the smaller JCW 4's, Budweg versions aren't hideously priced and aftermarket discs won't be too bad, both options need hoses, and pads may be less?
Ahh I see I see! Yeah, abs sensors were £15 from main dealer not an ebay job, melting them is pretty unlikely though and not something that would need consideration when upgrading brakes...and an easy cheap fix is what these cars are about. I'll be clearer next time:)

It's not that I would leave it to melt, I just disagree that's a concern...and if it does happen its 15£ part from main BM dealer...I never go as cheap as possible, I can assure you, and would never recommend to do so.

No much use on wheel clearance but I think you struggle on OEM wheel to fit many different brakes. I can tell you I have 17x7 ET 40 ith 215/45 tyre. Lots of clearance for callipers and fills the arches slightly more without going too fat and having tracking issues.

Yeah I looked into the GP2 but Brembos were a lot more "bang for ya buck", GP2 would probably be best "OEM" plus option, but imo for that price you may as well go for a Reyland set up.

The R53 JCW brake are quite rare now so v spenny more so than R56 JCW i believe, that's why I recommended he swap them for the megane brembo set up, as you say, whilst also getting much more performance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts