MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

So having sold my R53 JCW a few years ago I am really missing the MINI buzz! Trouble I have that with a dodgy knee I need an auto really - I have seen some later ones that come with paddle shifters that look fun but am looking for some advice:

1. How good are they to drive? Slow shift??
2. Would they be any use for some track work or would it be too much for them?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
I think the shift is said to be a bit lazy, you might get away with using one on track if you kept session duration down, and perhaps found a way to fit a transmission oil cooler and fan, I reckon a slushmatic would still work alright with the right cam in it fwiw, only one way to know I guess, doubt anyone has especially with an older car which is something to consider, if it did break it possibly could be more a case of the straw that broke the camels back more than track use itself, ie, ageing box with no periodic fluid changes etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the shift is said to be a bit lazy, you might get away with using one on track if you kept session duration down, and perhaps found a way to fit a transmission oil cooler and fan, I reckon a slushmatic would still work alright with the right cam in it fwiw, only one way to know I guess, doubt anyone has especially with an older car which is something to consider, if it did break it possibly could be more a case of the straw that broke the camels back more than track use itself, ie, ageing box with no periodic fluid changes etc.
There was an article on an auto track ready r53 In a mini mag. Slush box saps a lot of power so go crazy to get as many ponies as you can to start with! You could always get a manual and pay someone to sit in the passenger seat and change gear..?! Just saying?😃🙃

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - sounds like it may be a bit of a non-starter especially as they seem to be very rare anyway. Has anyone fitted a sequential box to an R53??

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Monster Dog McDowell on fb/yt has a twin charged 53 with Audi DSG just fitted fwiw, adapter plate made etc.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,712 Posts
There's a chap on the R53OC Faceballs page who tracks an automatic and gets no end of shit for it, especially after he "ran out of talent". I don't want to name names, but it's pretty obvious if you get onto the group pages and can wade through all the banter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts