MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had good luck with just stretching the standard spring by 6-7mm. Once stretched and then re compressed, it will settle again. You need to measure it quite a few times to get it right. My bpv went from being a yoyoing turd to working like a precision instrument.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Cheers for that buddy when I measured the spring it was about 29mm so I have stretched the spring to to 34mm and then put in a 2mm shim for when the spring rests. It definitely snaps shut a lot faster now.have you done the vgs mod?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So after spending the last 2 months in lock down it seems the mini has had some attention.

"Hope everyone is safe and in good health"

On the plus side I finally found out what the issue was!!!! It's only bugged me since last December !
But operation 'your not beating me you bastard' is finally over.

In the end after weeks of checking mechanical parts I decided to get the laptop out and do some logging of the fuel and ignition maps @wot.
I found that the car was leaning out the fuel map at around the 3k-4k and in turn the ecu was seeing a lean spot at this point so it was retarding the ignition at between 3.5k-5k and causing all sorts of issues including pre detonation.... and that was the 'pinking' 'rattle' sound I could hear..

so..

You would think that would show up on the plugs right?
No... the plugs were the proper colour so I checked the plugs again a little closer only to find that one of the spark plugs had fallen apart in my hand when removed from the car! Iridium tip was missing!!
(more on that later)

So the lean fuel map...
I went through the entire fuel system again and found that the fuel filter was BLACK and caked up the what could only be described as treacle..
So fueling side fixed.

(Back to the broken plugs)

So I got these plugs from a large well known motorsport supplier who in fact I was sponsored by a few years ago. I won't mention any names but they are one of the biggest in the uk.
So after inspecting these plugs I thought wow I was lucky to not bend any valves or melt a piston, so I got in touch with the supplier who was straight off the bat argumentative and acting strangle odd considering Iv been known to these for over 15 years. And they wanted the plugs back asap. So I said "no"
And I sent them directly to NGK uk and they had them for 48hrs tops...
I got an email from them today stating that the plugs were in fact ....
CHINESE FAKES!!!! So as you can imagine i was seriously pissed off.
I will add some pics for everyone to laugh/look at.

Anyway car runs quiet and pulls well now so just wanted to take 5 to say thanks to everyone who had input to the thread. I dodged a bullet here, but a word of warning to anyone buying ngk plugs inc iridium do your research on them before you buy/fit them. There is plenty of info on Google to show all the differences between real and fakes. no matter where you buy plugs from always check them

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Great result and very savvy of you. Im guessing demon tweaks knew hence the need to get them back off you.
One of the reasons I buy more expensive stuff from known suppliers is to avoid situations like this. But as youve experienced, it doesnt mean shit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I thought you'd need to remove the plugs right after a WOT run for the colour to show how your fueling is... like pull over and remove them, not drive home and check later..?
I data logged the car and that showed the exact point where it was lean. I only pulled the plugs back out to check the spark gap to find they fell apart in my hand.
The procedure your talking about is like a 'plug chop' what you would do on a bike.That's why a plug chop is done on older bikes because most old bikes don't have an ecu you can read to get data. Most older bikes use a cdi that controls ignition where as you can data log most fuel injected bikes beause it uses a ecu.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you think it was the fuel filter causing the car to lean out, causing the tapping? I’ll have to change my filter and see if it cures mine considering the symptoms are what you describe. Pretty shocking re the plugs, if demon tweeks have sent these out (knowingly or otherwise) then the small auto factors I use could easily stock them without having a clue..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Do you think it was the fuel filter causing the car to lean out, causing the tapping? I’ll have to change my filter and see if it cures mine considering the symptoms are what you describe. Pretty shocking re the plugs, if demon tweeks have sent these out (knowingly or otherwise) then the small auto factors I use could easily stock them without having a clue..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes the filter definitely was a big factor but the plugs not being actual iridium didn't help either. There's a few things you can do to check them against the genuine ngk plugs it's hard to tell unless they are side by side. I know the boxes they supply them in are slightly different aswel.
Take a look at this link..

:

41 - 49 of 49 Posts