MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
2004 r52 cabriolet
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I鈥檓 hoping you can help with a problem on my 2004 r52 1.6 Cabriolet.
I鈥檝e just replaced the alternator and seem to have a cable left over, rather than the usual nut or bolt. 馃檮
There鈥檚 a part of the harness that plugs into the throttle body then continues down, another plug come out of it then a single red cable (in the corrugated sleeve) keeps going down. That鈥檚 the cable end that doesn鈥檛 seem to have a home and for the life of me I can鈥檛 find where it goes!
I can add some pics tomorrow to show where I mean but hopefully someone can help.
Thanks in advance.

Registered
2004 r52 cabriolet
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi George, thanks for the fast reply and link.
I changed the alternator by starting at the right, removing the air box etc, until I was able to get to it.
It鈥檚 the cable that plugs into the inlet water temperature sensor (I think) then hangs loose going downwards.
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Rim Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Auto part Gas

Premium Member
Not sure what that is as I don't have an R52. Do you have air con? It looks like the kind of thing that would go on the air con compressor...

Anything to do with the cooling fan?

Try and see things that you may have caught on while you were taking the alternator out.

Somebody on here will know.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Registered
2004 r52 cabriolet
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It definitely looks like the right length to go to the fan. I can鈥檛 see where but I鈥檓 sure you know what access is like!
Its really frustrating as there鈥檚 a limited range of reach but I just can鈥檛 see where it should be!
Thanks for your reply and help 馃憤

Registered
That red wire has pulled out of a plug. Looking at the corrosion it's been out for a fair while, certainly not just since you changed the alternator.

I can't think of a plug with just the one cable.

All R52 models have the radiator fan with just one connecter (pre mid 2003 cars have a second connector).

Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
ac connector, housing smashed off

Reactions: DurhamNic

Registered
2004 r52 cabriolet
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to you both for your replies and help.

Yes the fan has just one connector with two wires in it, no space for another.

Were would the ac connection be that it should be in and would it hanging loose have affected the running?

Premium Member
If you don't have air con then maybe it's just a spare plug in the harness and it doesn't need to be connected. Sometimes you see connectors taped up from the factory if they're not used on some cars.

Does your car have any faults logged?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Registered
2004 Mini Cooper S
On the R52 (non cabrio) I鈥檓 working on, two cables come across the front of the engine: One is a ground to the alternator. The other branches out to attaches to the crank position sensor, then the alternator (fat plug) then the AC compressor (small plug), which is mounted right below the alternator.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts