MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 2003 r50 Cooper which I've just had to put a new starter motor on and now it won't turn over? I bench tested the new and old starter motors, the new one works the old didn't. I've changed the cam sensor, checked all fuses, swapped the green relays around & swapped batteries, checked the earth straps and still no joy. Anyone ever had a similar problem?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Does anything at all happen?

A click?

Multiple clicks?

Have you tested the battery?

Do the lights etc come on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for replying. There are no clicks at all and the lights come on as bright as usual. On the instrument cluster the battety/oil can?/Yellow engine and EML lights stay on when the key is it normal running position.....

I'll recheck the battery tonight, by swapping it with the one of my wife's car...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, not really had time. Might get a chance tomorrow. Couple of ideas such tapping the starter motor solenoid when turning the key and the ignition key module?

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
I had an issue with my earth strap on my old car which affected the seater motor, the starter just clicked but wouldn’t turn, the earth strap appeared to be secure but when I touched it while fault finding it was red hot to the touch, I jiggled it a bit and the heat instantly dissipated and the starter motor started working again instantly and I never had the issue again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, just had a quick look. Battery and all earth points ok, I'm getting 12v to the starter (big wire) but the smaller wire to the solenoid isn't showing any volts when the key is turned? Before fitting this starter motor I did bench test it and it functioned as it should. Any ideas where I should be investing next? Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK made a bit of progress tonight. I can now get the car to start by connecting a wire from the solenoid to the battery +. The key/ignition unit is ok. So where would you look next? Fuel pressure sensor?...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Faulty relay inside the BCM (body control module). If everything else on the car is working ok I would suggest rewiring the starter circuit through an external relay.

Gerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts